Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Altissimo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alan Costin
    Participant

Hi Johnny,any chance of a video lesson covering altissimo?
      I’ve been playing for two years and have real trouble getting the high f and f # .
      I can hit them sometimes but not regular enough to say I can play them when I want.
      cheers
      Big Al

john
      Keymaster

Hey Big Al, couple things…
        F and F# are not part of the altissimo range, it’s the notes that follow those ones that are altissimo.
        F and F# have standard fingerings and I assume you know what they are but are just not being able to hit them consistently right?
        I know this can be frustrating.

Let’s assume that high E is the last note you’re able to get without a problem. If you’re losing control when hitting the F then the problem is simply not getting enough air into your horn. Start on the C, D E F. or play chromatically from the C. (C, C#, D, D#, E F).
        This high range on the sax requires a lot of air or else the notes will break or sound weak and thin. It’s mostly about pushing more air through the horn from deep within your diaphragm.

There are a couple lessons o this…the proper breathing one and one on getting strong on the full range of the horn.

As for the altissimo range goes… this is a very in-depth subject and I am trying to figure out the best way to teach it. It may be a series of lessons for those who are ready to learn it, or improve on it, we’ll see.

good luck

Alan Costin
        Participant

Hi Johnny, you’re right I’m getting my high notes mixed up with altissimo.
          You are spot on with the problem I’m having getting past the high E.
          Thanks for the advice I’ll check out the lessons and try to get more air through the Sax.
          Thanks again for the help.
          cheers
          Big Al

p.s. Any chance of you coming to England?

jean pierre depani
          Participant

Hi Johnny do you have a video lesson about Altissimo ?

john
            Keymaster

No. Altissimo requires more than a video lesson, it’s more like an entire course!
              This is why I haven’t done it yet, but I will.
              If you’re working on trying to get up there, here are some important things to work on:
              Play lots of long tones, with intervals such as 5th’s, 4th’s and octaves.
              Make sure all notes are played at all dynamic ranges from very quite to very loud.
              Play them straight with no vibrato, then with all vibrato.

The next important practice routine is playing low Bb’s and trying to get the natural harmonics, which are F and D… meaning while playing low Bb you hear these notes in your head and try to get them out! This requires changes in your throat and embouchure which prepare you for the high notes later on.

Also, to even attempt altissimo one must have excellent control of the entire saxophone’s natural range from low Bb to the high F and F#.
              A good first step in actually trying for your first altissimo note would be to slide from high F# to the high G above it, which only requires one small finger position move.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.