Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Another reason why scales are important.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john springer
    Participant

Sometimes when playing during the gig, I would forget what came next in the song and sometimes I was busy checking out some girl in the audience and I could not find my spot on the sheet music. The band will not wait for me so how do I keep playing when I am lost. Easy, I just play scales or arpeggios until I find my spot again. Ha ha. Works like a charm.

Anonymous

i get easily distracted while playing sheet music…i notice a stray dog taking a dump in the garden…the door bell rings….a wasp enters the room…the phone wont stop ringing…the music sheet blows out the window…
        In those cases, i would have to stop playing.

Sounds like you multitask while playing the sax with one eye eyeing up the talent in the audience…

There is a cure for that, get the girl friend to pop up at random places in the audience while you are playing and give you the finger. lol

saxomonica
        Participant

ahem, so anyways guys not sure what the following movie short is all about but there are peculiar happy camper moves, some lost live looks here, warranted or welcomed left to imagination, much hipshaking too, the balloon is up on some of these fellas but all the while the saxophonic riffs really belt out with lotsa fun, talent, guys and gals, that is complimented by timely flutter, growl and androidal kinda pouty stuff essentially according to ones’ own tastes and ears.. or eyes or tounge .. or throat ..or embrouchere. hip swinging or foot tappinng .. or reeding 🙂

Anonymous

it’s times like that, that i wish i could drink a yard of ale..

Um, I’m surprised by this discussion. Although my repertoire is not very extensive and does not have the experience of performing (I only played for my family), but if I can not memorize the song, I take it so I do not know it enough. Previously, I played classical guitar music, and even the longest songs (and some were really long) I learned absolutely memorable. When I play sax for audience (so far for my family only), I have a sheet but only to remind me of the key and to find the first beat – the time I’m starting with the backing track. Am I abnormal?

saxomonica
            Participant

Well @martin wots normal?
              On a scale of a to g ….
              I wouldn’t lose to much sleep over it mate
              Time on the horn equals points on the board oddly enough I guess we achieve by heaping up small things
              zzzzx zzzz zz z
              (-:

john springer
              Participant

OK. I will confess, I was playing electric guitar at a coffee shop during mike night (the gig), my band and I (me and my backing track) were cruising along pretty well during my solo part when some girl screemed “whoo whoo” like she was digging me! I got so excited that a girl was screaming for me I total messed up the solo and so I just started random picking and bending notes over the scale for the key I was in. It worked pretty good. Sadly as it turns out, I later found out that the girl who was screaming was my daughter cheering me on LOL :O (OK Can you see why my first story is better)

saxomonica
                Participant

They are both GREAT stories and thanks for sharing! Nice sax and guitar work here with Gunship:

GUNSHIP Remembers THE LOST BOYS with Saxophone Synthwave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.