Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Any Red Prysock fans out there? "Fruit Boots" is my favorite from him :)

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by john.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I love Red Prysock’s Saxophone playing and couldn’t help but wanna share this one of his “Fruit Boots”….it’s my favorite of his. It has a sound/feel of Little Richard’s “Tutty Fruity”.

Anonymous

thats a really fascinating arrangement, i’ve only listened yo it twice and i cant make up mind if it is in 5 or 7 parts.
        The introduction is fabulius, the sax takes you straight in with the band, theres no fighting between instruments to grab attention, the rest of the instruments if you like are pushing the sax forward.
        Similarly in the ending, the sax takes you out dragging all the rest of the instruments with it.
        once past the introduction everyone gets in the beat/swing followed by a sort of improvisation where the rest of the instruments pull back and showcase the sax without distracting from it.
        the improvisation if you like takes the listener on a journey and tells a story in keeping with the whole song.
        Then it gets back to the beat with all the instruments, at this stageci get a bit lost, sort of winds down and takes you at the end.

For me a well put together arrangement lot if use of tension and release – works for me

Tim56
        Participant

Mike: Good one. Listen to, “Hand Clappen” I got the music from Sax Solos. saxsolos.com Check out what Curtis Swift has. Many great transcriptions that he has done. They are dead on! Tim

john
          Keymaster

oh ya Red Prysock is one of my main guys for sure. He couls blow cool jazz solos but with the rock and roll attitude.
            Years ago when I played with The Roomful of Blues Horn Section they turned me on to the famous recordings called “Sill Austin & Red Prysock – Battle Royal”

These 2 guys go at it both on tenors, amazing stuff.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

TIM: I have some “special” Sax uploads coming very soon and I made good use of Curtis’ transcriptions–his work is very good as you said.
              JOHNNY: I listened on youtube to the recording of Sill Austin and Red Prysock that you’re talking about about a month ago……listening to those 2 guys makes me, as a student player, realize just how far I have to go and how much I have to learn. Sometimes, it feels like it will be an eternity before I could ever, ever think of playing a Saxophone the way those guys do! At the very least, I can have just as much fun on a Saxophone as they do…even if that means I “crash and burn” with it sometimes LOL.

john
              Keymaster

Those guys are great, I can’t do that either but I still have fun with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.