Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions arpeggios

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    paul kelly
    Participant

Hi Johnny how should you practise arpeggios I mean is there a right way and a wrong way.to play them, or I am I over thinking this..thanks paul

john
      Keymaster

Everyone should know every scale and it’s chord. Play the C major scale then play it’s chord from the lowest possible note to the highest. So, C, E G C E G C E then back down. This is the major arpeggio for C major. Only thing I would add is to play it steady and smooth.

john
        Keymaster

Chords are fantastic tools for improvisation techniques.
          I seen lots of piano players, guitar players accompanying singers
          just playing chords & arpegios.
          If you can try & learn the 7 chords in each scale,
          bare minimum at least the basic 3 chords.
          I know they say you can play any tune if you know
          the 3 basic chords in its scale, but you really shine if
          you can throw in more chords. For us guitar players it
          takes years of experience & experimentation to become
          a good improviser in chords. I would presume this
          applies to the Sax?

john
          Keymaster

Yes of course. A musician must know all chords and scales regardless of the instrument he plays.

Tim56
            Participant

saxpoe: Do I understand Johnny to say, Low C E G mid C E altissamo G C E? Tim

Anonymous

Basically for any Scale you need to learn the arpeggio which is the 1st, 3rd & 5th notes of the scale, so in the scale of C major
                it is C – E – G.
                The idea is that you start with the lowest C on the Sax, then move up an octave and repeat the C – E – G and if you can move up another octave and repeat the C – E – G.
                So you end up playing low C, low E, Low G, middle C, middle E, middle G, High C, high E, altissimo G.
                Then you work back down from altissimo G to Low c.

Here in England if you do grades in the Sax, for the C major scale they expect you to be able to do 2 octaves –
                low c, low e, low g, middle c, middle e, middle g, high c, and then back down to low c at a speed under 100 bpm.
                For the F major scale you only need to know 1 octave – low F, low A, Low C, middle F, then back down to low C.
                hope this helps!

Anonymous

Tim i’m 57 this year & only been playing 8 months now and the Sax is a great instrument!
                  Just recently i decided to have a go at doing grade 2 sax in november, my teacher wanted me to go for grade 3, but i opted for grade 2.
                  I thought i’m doing all this stuff i might as well chuck a grade in!
                  I’ve been learning 3 pieces on the blog for the exam, and i have to work really hard to get everything perfect.
                  My teacher says pass mark is already in the bag – but just that extra bit of work can get higher marks!
                  But at the end of the day its got to be fun!
                  Now learning to improvise – moving away from all that theory.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.