Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Backing Tracks…playalongs..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Frishman
    Participant

HI Fellow sax players.

I am a 40 year old recreational sax player (palayed for the last 10 years), I love funk/ R &B/ Soul./ Some current hits.

I am always for looking for great play along / backing tract

I am familiar with the standard Aeborsold, Hal leonard,Soul backs that anyone can purchase.

I love the playalong MP3’s offered on this site (Aint no Sunshine etc)…

My question is how was this generated? Was it made by Johnny Ferriera?, Was it downloaded from a specific website? (Which Site?), I have used some Karaoke backups but wanted to hear from the group were if there is one great site/ location for great backing tracts that every sax player should have?

This site is great but there are only a few backing tracts to choose from…will there be more coming?

Below is a link to one of my favorite New Orleans Funk bands, to give everyone an idea of the genre I love. Hard to find a backing tract similiar to this bands sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSKIHXM8rxQ

I look forward to any/ all Advice.

Andrew

john
      Keymaster

Hi Andrew, hard not to love that groove! To answer your question, yes, I created all the backing tracks here. There are actually more but they are included with my books/courses.

The tracks are mostly my own band’s studio sessions that were recorded for the material on my actual CD’s. I mix, edit, and manipulate them to suit whatever I need them for as far as keys, tempo etc.

You will probably see more in here over time but this stuff is time consuming and I am a working musician involved in multiple projects so can’t always spend time creating tracks for everyone here, although I love to do it!

Rock on
        Johnny

Andrew Frishman
        Participant

I was unable to find anymore of your backing tracks, even with your Kindle book I purchased?? Can you explain what I am doing wrong or where to find the tracks you are referring to?? I am only able to get the tracks for Tequila, Night Train, Christmas Tune, and Aint No Sunshine..

I also wanted to ask you/the group for some advice on how to sound good at an “open Mic/ Blues Night”. I have played in public with bands, But havn’t got the courage to go to one of these informal Blues nights…..

I find the Sax is usually drowned out by the drums and screaming Guitars,(at these “Blues Nights”,,,any advice…on the good licks, or sax specific amplification? vs just playing into mic?

I would love to get involve with a group of guys to Jam with regularly but find, at my age, there are Pro caliber musicians, or beginning students…no Intermediate/ advanced players, like myself to play with on a regular basis.

Thanks again for your advice.

Andrew

john
          Keymaster

Which book did you get the Killer Blues or the How To Play The Saxophone?

In the How To Play Saxophone one there are 4 backing tracks for the songs lessoned there which are more standard/traditional:
            Amazing Grace, Greensleeves, Over The Rainbow, and Can’t help Falling In Love

In the Killer Blues there are 5 or 6 tracks – jump/swing, blues shuffle, rocker, a minor blues similar to Ain’t no sunshine, and the tracks for Brown Sugar.

Those tracks are about the closest you can get for what you mentioned regarding getting yourself ready to jam with others because they are real musicians comping along to me and my music (without me in this mix of course) so you’re playing blues/rock/R&B/funk based music, so close to what they’d play at most jams.

I know that many jam sessions there’s only a mic and that will usually be for the singer so you should bring your own. I have a wireless that the sound person can just plug into his snake and the mic is attached to my bell the whole time just for my sax.

Andrew Frishman
            Participant

Can you forward me the link to ..the killer blues book You are referring to…maYbe I am not referring to the correct .lessons?

john
              Keymaster
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.