Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Bought this Winston Soprano Saxophone from a Clarinet player…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I bought this Winston Soprano Sax from a local Clarinet player today for a really good price. He used to play the Soprano but decided to stick with Clarinet–that’s the only reason why he’s sold it. I met him through my Sax Instructor. It’s been sitting in his closet for a while. I was surprised at how well it plays! I compared it to my Selmer Liberty (a student model Soprano) and the Winston is much more ‘compact’ and ‘focused’ sounding. I’ve noticed the metal on the Selmer Liberty is a soft-type metal, so I’ve been looking for options. The pads on this Winston are the original pads, so I’m going to take it to the shop to have the guys service it. Johnny’s ‘Soul Serenade’ will sound great on this Sax πŸ™‚ I know not everyone is a fan of the Soprano, but I think they’re a BLAST to play πŸ™‚

winston-3
      winston-2
      Winston-4
      winston-1

saxomonica
      Participant

Just beautiful @michael Bishop
        Whiter shade of pale gold
        We wish you many happy hours 2gether #BlastOff

Anonymous

looks nice – when will you be uploading?

Michael Bishop
          Participant

@ Saxomonica Thanks for the encouragement πŸ™‚ I Love Winter Shade of Pale, especially the way played it with Tenor and Soprano. It’s definitely on my to-do list. I’m thinking about just doing it Soprano all the way through, we’ll see.
            @ Sxpoet In time soon to come, stay tuned. Thanks for those blues backing tracks you sent me, good stuff πŸ™‚

Anonymous

@Michael – Love you man! There’s lots of lovely people on here – Cavefish, saxomonica,jeff to name a few, the list goes on.

brother cavefish
              Participant

might be a little too much reverb and echo, sometimes a good relaxed reverb is all thats needed , and can pull of an echo effect, nothing like natural reverb though

saxomonica
                Participant
                  john
                  Keymaster

congrats on the new horn Michael! looks really nice.

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

@ Johnny–Thanks Johnny πŸ™‚ My Clarinet-playing friend gave me a good deal on it. His main concern was that it was going to get played. He gave me some cool history of the Winston Soprano, have been around for a while. I love the Soprano, I think the Soprano is a blast to play πŸ™‚

I called Massullo Music about 3 weeks ago to ask them about a Trevor James Soprano and they told me it’s still only in the developmental stage. Sandro said when they were at NAMM, they asked Trevor James specifically about a Soprano–seems like they’ve had other players asking about a Soprano too. I asked him about the Trevor James 88 Soprano (https://tjsaxes.co.uk/products/soprano/horn’88/tjhorn’88soprano) and he said, in all honesty, that model of Soprano wasn’t any better than the Selmer Liberty. I really wanted to round out my collection of Saxophones with a good Trevor James Soprano–Trevor James is my favorite line of Saxophones. Thanks for the props you gave to Trevor James Saxophones in your blog post on shopping for a Saxophone πŸ™‚ https://www.howtoplaysaxophone.org/buying-a-saxophone/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.