Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Buescher true tone low pitch Tenor 1928

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Randy Knol
    Participant

Sorry but if I see a Beuscher I can’t resist so my third one to make the serie complete.

A 1928 built Beuscher true tone tenor sax and it sound really sexy. I shall put a pic of the three together on the forum shortly.

ik63e-tenor.jpg

john
      Keymaster

Randy you beast! Love those old silver ones, the thing you really notice is how different the neck shapes were.
        Also notice the added brace under the neck? They got rid of that later on and it was a big mistake because I wrecked a few necks because of the extra support not being there and so had my repair guy solder one on after that. If you’re really gentle the extra support might not matter but if you’re rockin’ hard it’s pretty easy to bend the neck down.

Randy Knol
        Participant

John it’s an addiction.

I bought a Pomarico wooden mouth piece on it, believe me it’s a perfect match. I tried a few MP’s but the richness of the sound with the Pomarico is unbelievable. On the other saxes I have brass Otto Links and I was thinking of getting the same for the tenor, the guy had none in stock so we tried the wooden one thinking it wouldn’t be it but when we heard the sound no other MP could match it.

john
          Keymaster

cool. I wonder if it’s made by Rico?

Randy Knol
            Participant
              Quote:
              Quote from saxjohnny on October 23, 2014, 11:07
              cool. I wonder if it’s made by Rico?

It’s absolutely not made by Rico.

No Pomarico is a very good company, on their site you read more about them, apparently they stopped producing wooden sax MP’s however they still make them for clarinet in wood. However they make crystal MP’s for the Sax would love to try one of those but I’m afraid that this will come with a serious price tag.

I found on the internet the following description: The piece had a great huge dark sound. Almost as much volume as the Vandoren HR V16, but much darker.

Wooden MP’s often have uneven rails but Pomarico is a very high skilled company with almost perfect MP’s. Id you look at the list of people that play with their MP’s then you can imagine that’s is not a study model. http://www.pomaricompieces.com/clarinettist.html However I think it’s a more known brand for clarinets.

jake
              Participant

very nice Randy! I gotta say, I am a little jealous rite now! Can’t wait to hear the videos!

Question for you. Do you find a difference in play-ability of the saxes old vintage versus newer saxes? I didn’t know if newer ones were a little easier to play as compared to older ones? Also, sound differences! The sound is afterall what we are after in the sax!

Randy Knol
                Participant
                  Quote:
                  Quote from jake on October 23, 2014, 14:48
                  Question for you. Do you find a difference in play-ability of the saxes old vintage versus newer saxes? I didn’t know if newer ones were a little easier to play as compared to older ones? Also, sound differences! The sound is afterall what we are after in the sax!

To be honest Jake I bought my first sax in may this year some second hand student model that was bought by a bloke for his grandson that played it for a week and then decided the piano was easier. After being in the closet for years it was for sale and I bought it for 300 Euro (app 375 USD). When I went for a MP in the local windinstrument store I noticed the BeuscherBariton and fell in love with the shape and I tried it and loved the sound. So I had it reserved since I didn’t have the money on me. A week later I found the Beuscher Alto on the web and bought, loved the sound. This week I saw the Tenor and thought let have the Beuscher collection complete. For the tenor I also looked at a Conn Ladyface but decided to stick to Beuscher, however I’m thinking of getting the lady face too since it’s a nice instrument.

So if a modern sax plays easier or more difficult then a modern sax I really don’t know I’m to much a novice to tell and I only played a modern sax for two weeks. Since I’m very busy owning my own company I maybe played the modern sax four or five times. The only thing I can say is that with the right set-up a vintage sax just has an awesome sound a lot better then most modern saxes, but again that’s personal taste and it’s impossible to discuss taste.

Once I can play a little I will put the sounds on line. If I do it now I might make a fool of myself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.