Skip to main content
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Luke Comiskey
    Participant

heres the C scale as i have it high-low: C(second pad), D(1st pad), E(first two pads together), F(first 3 pads), G(first 4 pads), A(first 5 pads), B(first 6 pads) and then C(all pads plus octave key, but my scale sounds weird. its all the different notes and in tune but spread over two octaves so like instead of playing from high C to Low C I’m getting the high C to the C that is lower than the one i think I should be getting. I am almost certain i am playing it correctly but it doesn’t sound as it should. now i am only playing two days but i can’t figure out whats going on, any thoughts?

john
      Keymaster

Very hard to understand exactly what you’re doing from the explanation. Please check my video on how to play a C major scale. You can access it from the home page under “Beginners Start Here”

Luke Comiskey
        Participant

sorry i had the whole thing backwards in the last post, I’m playing the scale as i think i should ( C, B, A, G, F, E, D, c) but the last D and c notes are sounding as A (in place of the D) and G (in place of the c)

john
          Keymaster

Playing it backwards is good and I recommend it because it makes it easier to hit the low notes as you’re coming down.
            In regards to your 2nd statement… sounds like you have a pad or 2 not working. If you’re fingering the D and C properly but are getting other notes that means the pads aren’t sealing or some similar mechanical issue that needs to be fixed.

Luke Comiskey
            Participant

I was afraid of that, is it much to fix?

john
              Keymaster

Replacing a few pads is cheap. But it may be some bent rods etc so I can’t tell you that since that’s not my specialty but you need to get it looked at by a sax repair guy…or gal!
                To be certain male sure they show you the exact problem. Sometimes a pad leak or 2 can cause huge problems and that’s an easy and cheap fix. If they estimate repair into the 100’s have them show you what it is…but I don’t think that would be it.

Luke Comiskey
                Participant

I’d also like to compliment you on your book and video lessons, very clear and although i have that problem with my sax i’ve progressed a lot in only a few days. The blowing is the hardest part!

john
                  Keymaster

Good to hear and thanks…but keep it up because the blowing gets easier. Make sure you have your sax in good working order though because otherwise your efforts go to waste.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.