Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Careless Whisper high F#

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Participant

Johnny can you tell me if this a true fact.

“As far as I know, the sax that Steve Gregory played on this song was a Selmer Mark VI tenor, but I don’t know which mouthpiece or reed he used. As that instrument didn’t have a top F# key, the engineer turned down the tape speed so that Steve could play the sax line a semitone lower.”

saxomonica
      Participant

Wow my 2 cents worth if anyone had a mk6 they’d at least know how to play f# after fork f and before altissimo g – so i too am interested in @Johnny’s take! I guess the ears have it …

saxomonica
        Participant

Wow my 2 cents worth if anyone had a mk6 they’d know how to play f# after fork f and altissimo g – so i too am interested in Johnny’s take!

john
          Keymaster

Careless whisper has an alto on the original not tenor.
            and the alto notes are all within the regular range, not altissimo so someone’s given you some wrong information I think.

brother cavefish
            Participant

just curious even knowing the same mouthpiece and reed , will not make one play the same way, , i mean copying certain styles is a nice thing, personally i like Coleman hawkins and Lee Allen, but many mouthpieces and reeds can pull it off, my 2 cents anyway,,, i have an F# key and never use it , i use the X key ,4th key and side Bb

Derek
              Participant

Yes thanks Johnny I also heard it was an alto. Ther has been lots of questions regarding this riff over the years regrading it being a tenor , alto , nose flute. Thanks for clearing it up. I will now switch to Alto on my gigs.

john
                Keymaster

If you play that riff`In the same key it sounds too low that’s why I did a transposed version for tenor
                  Notice on my video I played the riff on alto and the rest on tenor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.