Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Chord Progression for “And I Love Her”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Saxfella
    Participant

Our band is going to do “And I Love Her” based on Johnny’s backing track. The guitarist is using the following chords for the Intro: D- and G-.. For the outro he’s using Ab- and Eb-. I view the chord selection as using the ii and vi of the key. Any comments re this selection of chords.

john
      Keymaster

The intro chords are 2 and 1. The song is in the key of F so that means the chords are G- to F.
        The end is exactly the same only it modulates up a half step which means G#- to F# for the same intro part at the end.

Saxfella
        Participant

Thanks Johnny. I couldn’t figure out what they were actually hearing that would warrant different chords because I told them the chords just as you have described. A classic case of K.I.S.S. I’m still trying to get a handle on the guitarist mind, i.e., why they refer to a key or a note as a sharp rather than as a flat. It’s not a big deal but when I want to know what note the guitarist just played, answering A# instead of Bb does make a difference for transposing. I’m getting use to this response so I now double check.

john
          Keymaster

Not a big deal, we as sax players usually say Bb because the tenor is a Bb instrument and that’s a good key for us etc. Your guitarist may have been brought up hearing A# more often than Bb. It’s the same note so don’t think it makes any difference for transposing though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.