Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? compressed neck cork

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    paddy jordan
    Participant

just to add another variation to Johnny,s neck cork first aid. i had good results with holding the cork above a steaming kettle a while back and it lasted a long time.

Dazza
      Participant

I did the hot water method on mine yesterday as it is well worn and needs replacement and it worked well. I had electrical tape around it to build up the thickness. Another emergency tip!

Bill Mecca
        Participant

steam works, or if not available, keep a roll of teflon plumbing tape in your case, wrap that around and build it up. The plusses: its slick (so easy to slide the mouthpiece on) and there is no adhesive.

Jazz Cat
          Participant

if you have time/energy, replacing a neck cork w/new one isn’t too challenging…the toughest part is: a) using razor to correctly cut length w/sloped edge and b) once you’ve glued it on, you need to carefully sand it so the mp goes on just right. i get sax repair parts from http://musicmedic.com/saxophone-neck-cork.html

john
            Keymaster

Ya good stuff JC, I just got a new cork a few days ago but had my repair guy do it as he had a few more things to do on my Selmer.
              the cork was only $5 with a little labour so a pretty cheap job.

Marc
              Participant

I’m currently using teflon tape as Bill Mecca mentioned… pretty good: no need to use cork grease.
                The only drawback is that you must be careful and take out the MP slowly, since there’s a chance you get the teflon tape “cylinder” attached to the interior of it.

William Cingolani
                Participant

On the advice of a past tech guy I have been using paraffin wax instead of cork grease. He told me that cork grease over time dissolves the glue that binds the cork to the goose neck. That’s his story. I also clean and polish my sax with lemon pledge. That’s what the tech guy in St. Louis uses.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.