Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Congested/resisting Tenor Sax

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john springer
    Participant

When I play my Tenor Sax – Jupiter 770, the low notes Bb, Bb, C and C# and even a D all sound “good enough” – meaning they have a smooth and loud base sound. The high notes from Middle C# to the top F# also sound good – meaning full and brassy with punch and power. However, notes between middle C down through low C – that whole active is just blah. The notes are in tune, but no matter how hard I blow or what I do with my mouth, I cannot get them to get louder, fuller. I want that almost distorted/brassy sound that Johnny demonstrates. I am using number 2 Vandoren reed with a Premier by Hite mouth piece (no size marking printed on it). Someone suggested that I might need to step up to the next level on my reed and mouth piece.

brother cavefish
      Participant

mouthpieces are a serious deal, they make or brake the sound you want,, now that being said, will it make you better,, i think you will have a better chance of getting better, , shitty MPs and just plain shitty, as far as reeds go you will have to explore , van doran has nice reeds sax UK has a video soundclips on all their brands and others , you can listen and find the sound you like and go from there

john
        Keymaster

I think you’re in good shape John…
          most people struggle with the low end and high end not the middle!
          it does sound like a metal mp might be what you’re looking for. or at least something wider.

john springer
          Participant

OK. I will stick with the Otto for a while. I have chosen Vandoren V16 2.5 as my new reed. The 2.5 is not hard to play after I soak them in water for 4 mins or so. I will give the new MP and reeds some playtime and see what happens with my sound. THanks!

john
            Keymaster

ya John, do that and keep us posted as you go.
              for me the v16’s were a bit darker and harder to play than the Javas, the red box are even easier (forget the name but Vandoren red box as opposed to the Java which is the green box)

john springer
              Participant

OK, so after practicing some more I have noticed some improvements – some hints of what is possible had accidentally revealed themselves during practice today and then I managed to recreate them and now the next level in my playing is being realized.

I was practicing the so disappointing sounding A, C and B of the middle range when I tried to clear my throat while playing and I accidentally hummed into the mouth piece at the perfect match of the harmonic of the note being played (electrifying). The note was beautiful!. It resonated, vibrated, and had punch and power. It was not a growl – just a hum and it added so much. I then remembered Johnny’s flutter tongue video and tried that. YES!, I can flutter tongue to and that sounded cool. I also managed to make my tenor play ever sooooo soft – those low whispy/airy low notes and high note fades (JAVA reed 2.5). Now mind you I can only do this in fragmented 1 seconds periods of success and only over a select few notes – but the revelation came. I now know what to practice so as to make it better – the germ of my sound has started to sprout (about the 5 week mark)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.