Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Contact Info for Winslow ligatures? Are they still around?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Michael what you say is absolutely true – but it only applies to beginners like yourself. When a beginner hasn’t fully developed his sound like you, then it is a complete waste of your time buying a more expensive sax.

When you have fully developed your sound and tone – thats when a more expensive sax will sound completely different to your student sax.
      Thats when you can change your sound by changing your sax.

Jf mentioned before he did a rcording with one sax, and then in the interval he changed to another sax, and the bloke in the recording asked what he’d done because he sounded different . How mch more proof do you need?

paddy jordan
      Participant

hey James i think think your being little unfair there with Michael saying he is a beginner, yes most of us here are in the early stages of learning, but i think its fair to say after 2 years or so of wood shedding and learning that no one can see or apreciate that we can safely identify ourselves as intermediates.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

@ Paddy: thanks πŸ™‚ I was assessed by my Instructor at our very first meeting, that’s what he does with all new students–he tested me on a variety of things from my knowledge and ability to play Major/minor scales, chords, inverting chords, looking at notes per measure and assessing what Time Signature the piece was in, etc.. and at the end of the lesson classified me as an Intermediate player. The guys who I play with every week on the Blues Society are letting me take lead solos now, pretty cool! πŸ™‚ While I have much yet to learn, my instructor commended me for what I have done. The only person I had teaching me Blues and Altissimo was Johnny, no one else around here–up until now–was around to teach me this stuff. I worked with a person through a local shop to work on general sax stuff and my Instructor said, given the circumstances that I had to deal with, that it was an Amazing accomplishment and I’m very proud of it…I still smile BIG every time I watch this video below, what a memory πŸ™‚ He works with people who have been playing the Sax for many years and lots of them can never get passed high F#. So yes, I have a lot to learn, things to work on and I’ll be the first to admit that; no problem πŸ™‚ Through all my up’s-and-down’s, it could be very easy to let negative comments from others discourage me and just quit. Sorry, ain’t gonna happen πŸ˜‰ In terms of how important is a pro-model Sax, student-model Sax, etc.. I have seen it in person who folks who are working with the same Man that I am now, in addition to I having almost 1,400 Sax playing friends on facebook and over half of them play on student model Saxophones with high-caliber MPs and they are KILLING it, and I do mean Killing it. They’re throwing down some GOOD stuff. Every single one of them are unanimous: It’s the player behind the Sax that counts πŸ˜‰ But one thing is for sure, they’re very encouraging to me and have encouraged me to just avoid negativity. Rock on Paddy! πŸ™‚ Have you ever uploaded anything here on Johnny’s blog? It would be encouraging if you could. I’ve had loads and loads of stuff of Johnny’s that I’ve held off from uploading until I get my Interface/mics later this month; some of this stuff I’ve had done since September 2015 and I’m VERY excited to finally going to be able to start uploading it. I have Skyped with a few Members privately and showed them through Skype what is coming….:)

Anonymous

@Paddy – of course i know Michael isn’t a beginner, but what i am refering to is his sound & tone has not fully developed yet, so he still in the learning stage, compared to a pro whose and tone is fully developed, i would have to class his tone and sound to be that of a beginner.

If you listen to michael playing altissimo i would class michael as being an intermediate player, even his knowledge of blues playing is intermediate level.

Theres so many areas of the sax to master, someone can be weak in certain areas and strong in others, what i love about Michael is his compassion and love for the sax – which is absent in a lot of players

Pete
            Participant

Michael
              All the work and dedication you put in you are more
              than a beginner, just carry on as you are mate and
              you will get their one day, like we all hope to do
              Keep on Blowing

wayne wojnarowski
              Participant

Hey Peter! Thanks for the comment! i hear a lot of dissent from a few folks! I am actually a drummer and happily have got a gig with my old buds, we are playing in 3 weeks I am so excited!! i play alto for my passion . Put in as much time as i can on it. Have not made money playing sax however have gone out to local ” OPEN MIKES ” have played Blues had much FUN.
                Come on guys i also LOVE JOHNNIE but i think we all need a reality check. We are doing this for the love of the art!! Right!! i think some of you guys should go to a Open Mike play what you post here, and then tell us what you experienced.. !!!! Johnnie is a great guy business man, doing what great business men do.. sell!!

wayne wojnarowski
                Participant

Paddy thanks for the response.. I’m not a advocate of cheap equipment .. I’m simply saying my sax 25 yrs ago cost under 3000 , I think mike had a good point. In regards to Major Manufacturers DW DRUMS a great drum by the way makes a second line Pacific Great drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i guess what i find amusing is our personal evaluations of ourselves.

paddy jordan
                  Participant

thats cool Wayne

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

@ Peter Smith: Rock on Peter πŸ™‚ Good playing to you too my friend. These things take time…lots of time, practice and hard work. Just today, I got an invitation to do some stuff with some Jazz playing folks–players from 50 countries are taking part in this project and their Improvising is going to be thrown into 1 edit and broadcasted in various places. If you don’t believe me, here’s the message that was in my inbox that I copied/pasted for you to read below–if any of you are on facebook you’ll find a facebook link and you can go there for yourself to see that I accepted the invitation. There’s a youtube link they gave me to, it’s an unlisted video. No, my playing is not perfect and these folks know that, and yet they’re still willing to let me be a part of this fun project πŸ™‚ I told them I would get on it in April because my Interface/Mics don’t arrive till later this month. The musician who started this project is from Russia, English is a very difficult language for them.

Hello!
                      Thank you for adding me.
                      I would like to invite you in Jazz project. We are making endless jazz music. Different jazz bands are recording improvisations on one music and send it to us.Now more than 50 countries take part in this project.
                      Then We are editing all improvisations in the one video. It is social art-project. We are planning to show it on tv-channels. We would like to unite people from all over the world with this way.
                      Would you like to take part in global world-wide project and make improvisation on this music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svAPZ_V_TqY
                      Please, write me if you are interested in it.
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/suitcase.story/
                      Π˜ΡΡ…ΠΎΠ΄Π½ΠΈΠΊΠΈ.

Pete
                      Participant

Michael good for you go ahead and have a go it will be a good experience for you, don’t worry about
                        negative comments you get, just try your best and take it as part of the learning curve.
                        A teacher I use to go to said me one day He wishes all is students were as keen as me in learning the saxophone,
                        that didn’t mean I was good as the rest but I am dedicated to be as good as the rest.
                        Still aiming for that like you and one day who knows.
                        Keep Blowing Michael

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.