Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Contact Info for Winslow ligatures? Are they still around?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    wayne wojnarowski
    Participant

Sx poet rain is great for fishing! Mike Wayne here, long time no talk! whats up? Dude I’m the river rat, I’ll show you how to pick Crappies out of fallen trees in the Pheshtigo River up in Crivitz Wisc. Did you get famous or what? what happened with the “PROJECT” I finally got a gig playing drums YAA HOO!! You remind me of me, you are constantly searching!! Find what works for you and stick with it. Johnnies Hawaii 5 0 is cool, Johnnie , funny thing our band used to use old TV show themes. I’m really confused i hear so much talk about gear, which by the way sounds like you all have great stuff. Obviously high end gear will hopefully give you quality tone ??? But come on guys and gals if you don’t practice i say it doesn’t matter cause your going to have crap tone, eve on your 20, 000 rig don’t ya think??

paddy jordan
      Participant

Hi Wayne you hit the nail right on the head there number one on the list to improving is practice and practice, but next after that is what equipment you decide to go with, i personally think that if your serious about achieving a decent standard, do plenty of research listen to what everyone is saying and there is a lot of info to had,and then based on that make your choice, i think James said a while back get the best you can afford once you have done the research ,

Pete
        Participant

Wayne I have to agree with you it doesn’t matter what gear you have
          if you cant play well then what is the point in all this expensive
          gear, am I wrong or what but thought this site was called
          HOW TO PLAY SAXOPHONE.

Anonymous

Don’t forget smart guys – You need to record your playing, play it back & listen to it.
            First and foremost – the listener is the person who will judge your playing – not you.

What you hear is different to what the listener is hearing. so put your sax down play it
            back and have a listen, and listen to what the listener is saying – these are the people
            who will walk away or take time out to listen.

I’m not wasting money on expensive gear – i am buying cheap gear.
            But least of all i don’t want to buy crap cheap gear and end up re-buying gear
            which i should have bought in the first place.

This site happens to be run buy JF who is into a lot of recording gear,
            so even if it is ‘how to play the saxophone’ – we still have the opportunity
            to ask JF questions about recording gear – which we are lucky to be privy to that
            experience he can relate.

Anonymous

Ooooooooohhh – and I thought it was all about the cool hat, Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses!!! LOL

I’m with you Sxpoet, the sound is everything and it doesn’t help sending recordings for people to listen to when they don’t sound just like your Sax.
              Which is also why people buy expensive MP’s to improve their sound. I bought a cheap USB mike and I’m already regretting it, you are making a wise investment.

Anonymous

Absolutely Jeff – The sax is just an extension of your sound, change your sax and you will change your sound.
                If someone can’t tell the difference between the sound from different saxophones,
                then they are lucky – cause they can be happy playing with any sax.

paddy jordan
                Participant

very good points and as Jeff said buying cheap can actually be the most expensive option when your paying out again.that said you still don’t need to melt a credit card to make well researched purchase,just go what with your comfortable with.

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

@ Wayne: Our project is still on–you may recall in our last e-mail I mentioned I have my USB Interface/mics coming now in March and I wanted to wait until then to do it v.s. the Crappy USB mic I’ve been forced to use, I think I showed it to you in one of the video tutorials, it’s just not up to recording music….we both have busted our butts to learn this song and we both want this thing to sound as good as possible, plus I am ordering the ‘coveted’ Winslow ligature for my Alto. Thanks so much Wayne for all those reeds you sent me, very cool! 🙂 I don’t know if I even have to buy anymore this year LOL As soon as I get my USB Interface/mics later this month I’ll contact you; the song is all ready no worries. Congrats on the gig Wayne! Once you find what works for you, then stick with it. Remember, it’s the player that counts.
                    @ paddy: I talked to Mr. Winslow yesterday over the phone and put a post about it on another part of Johnny’s forum yesterday, here’s the link for the conversation. You are awesome Paddy, thanks! I mentioned your name to him and he remembers you.

I talked to John Winslow over the phone, will be making them for me….

paddy jordan
                    Participant

thats cool Michael i would be interested to hear your thoughts on your new Winslow when you give it burn, i think you will pleasantly surprised.

Michael Bishop
                      Participant

@ paddy: I got part of my tax return this morning (state) so I’m paying him later today. He’s making 3 of them for me–alto, tenor and soprano. Yes, I tried one already like I mentioned at the beginning of this post….you put it perfectly Paddy about giving it a burn, for the few minutes I was allowed to play with it, that’s what it did and I was hooked 🙂
                        @ everyone: Just to clear something up about what I said on my Instructor’s take regarding the MP/reed, the player behind the Sax, etc.: He’s not trying to say you should play on a junk Sax. There’s loads and loads of great Saxophones out there, at great intermediate prices and I listed a few at the beginning that he recommends to his student. I forgot to mention Vito Saxophones too…vitos are great and are basically a Yamaha Saxophone, but you get them at a cost much less than a Yamaha. Vito contracted with Yamaha to put their name on a Sax; it’s made by Yamaha. If you look carefully, there’s some great deals on ebay too (just be careful on ebay) A junk Sax can make the playing experience a nightmare. What he’s saying is that too many people think that a pro-model Sax is “the ticket” to sound good, and it’s not. I put his mp/reed on my Sax after trying his Sax, the core sound was almost identical on both Saxophones and that is because along with the MP/reed, the sound comes from ME and my oral cavity, etc.. His point is to find an MP/reed set up that you feel comfortable with, a decent Sax (not an expensive one) and focus on your own playing/technique. Rather than worrying about an expensive Sax, worry about working hard and getting better with your playing…that’s what he’s saying. Johnny said the same thing, that my Instructor is trying to say, at the beginning of his promotional video on his ebook of learning to play the Saxophone, I set the timer on the video below to emphasize that point. This is coming from 2 different Sax players, who are TRUE pro players, saying the exact same thing v.s. some guy who claims to be a ‘qualified’ Instructor and gives lessons at your local music shop.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.