Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds D’addario Reeds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant

La Voz
      LA VOZ ALTO SAXOPHONE REEDS
      Strength Medium Soft, 10-Pack RJC10MS

Jazz musicians consistently choose La Voz Alto reeds for their powerful tone and flexibility. These reeds are crafted with D’Addario’s engineered reed-making technology, featuring a well-balanced profile and stronger spine to provide you with a full tone, no matter your playing style.  
      IDEAL FOR:

* JAZZ
      * ROCK
      * EDUCATIONAL/SCHOOL MUSIC

Plasticover

PLASTICOVER BY D’ADDARIO ALTO SAXOPHONE REEDS
      Strength 2.5, 5-Pack RRP05ASX250

Plasticover features a brilliant, projecting tone that gives voice to many music styles. Favored by rock & pop performers, Latin jazz artists, and within all corners of jazz, this coated cane reed is ideal for quick instrument changes and enduring extreme weather conditions.
      IDEAL FOR:

* JAZZ
      * OUTDOOR MARCHING
      * ROCK

Reserve
      ORGANIC RESERVE ALTO SAXOPHONE REEDS
      Strength 3.0+, Individually-Sealed, 10-Pack ODJR10305

Organic Reserve reeds provide you with dynamic flexibility and exceptional, warm tone quality when playing due to their long vamp profile. These filed reeds feature a traditional tip to give you an ease of articulation and response. Each reed in the pack comes single-sealed in a recyclable paper reed holder and flow wrap.
      IDEAL FOR:

* CLASSICAL
      * CHAMBER
      * EXPERIMENTAL/NEW

Select Jazz Unfiled
      ORGANIC SELECT JAZZ UNFILED ALTO SAXOPHONE REEDS
      Strength 3 Soft, Individually-Sealed, 10-Pack ORRS10ASX3S

Organic Select Jazz offers great projection, clarity, and a vibrant sound. Available in filed and unfiled models, Select Jazz is sold in third strengths for optimal mouthpiece pairing. Each reed in the pack comes single-sealed in a recyclable paper reed holder and flow wrap.
      IDEAL FOR:

* JAZZ
      * ROCK

Select Jazz Filed
      ORGANIC SELECT JAZZ FILED ALTO SAXOPHONE REEDS
      Strength 3 Soft, Individually-Sealed, 10-Pack ORSF10ASX3S

Organic Select Jazz offers great projection, clarity, and a vibrant sound. Available in filed and unfiled models, Select Jazz is sold in third strengths for optimal mouthpiece pairing. Each reed in the pack comes single-sealed in a recyclable paper reed holder and flow wrap.
      IDEAL FOR:

* JAZZ
      * ROCK

Venn synthetic
      VENN ALTO SAXOPHONE REEDS
      Strength 3.0, 1-Pack VAS0130G2

D’Addario VENN: an advanced synthetic reed constructed of polymer fibers, resin, and natural cane elements. Designed to give players the benefits of synthetic reeds without compromising on the sound and playability of cane reeds.
      IDEAL FOR:

* JAZZ
      * OUTDOOR MARCHING
      * CLASSICAL
      * ROCK
      * CHAMBER
      * EXPERIMENTAL/NEW

RockinRobin
      Participant

I use carbon onyx reeds
        William

sxpoet
        Participant

William – all the tenor recordings with synthetic reeds sound great to me.

Unfortunately for me all the alto synthetic reeds that i have tried so far just didn’t sound right compared to the cane reeds especially higher up the sax, and a few keys were badly out of tune for me to embouchure them in tune. So i just can’t take to them.

i can’t say i was unlucky and bought some bad synthetic reeds because i tried several different types and they all behaved the same. Also they cost too much for me to keep testing out, if i can’t work with them.

In a box of 10 cane reeds, you might find only one or two good reeds, so far all the box of cane reeds i have bought in recent years all the reeds were playable – touch wood.

But i did find the plasticover reeds playable, and they last longer than the cane reeds, so i might invest in some more of them as an alternative to synthetic.

sxpoet
          Participant

Just ordered a D’Addario Alto Synthetic VEN No.2 reed, i’ll try it out next week when it arrives by post.

They say with synthetic reeds that they remain flat all the time, so a No.3 synthetic reed will always be a No.3 reed.

Whereas with cane reeds the longer you play them they don’t remain flat and the tips start to curve away, so eventually a No.3 reed played a lot overtime reshapes to a No.2 tip.

This explains why when i play a No.2 reed after 10 minutes it becomes unplayable as the tip is curving into a No.1 reed. Now i understand why i kept switching to No.3 reeds when i was playing some of my old No.2 reeds after 10 minutes. The cane reed has lost its strength to retain it’s shape as it wears out with age and saliva.

Jeff
            Participant

I played for two hours the other day and the reed was performing better after it was thoroughly wetted. The only reason I had to stop was because my lip was becoming tender. I don’t have any problems with the cane reeds, but that is probably because I look after them properly and never leave them to dry out on the MP covered in saliva. I also only purchase Vandoren reeds, Classic and Java Green.

sxpoet
              Participant

You want to try out some D’addario reeds, might open your eyes …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.