Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Day Three Newbie Observations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

A. The Reed I used today, was the same one I used yesterday. I wet it in my mouth pretty good (both ends) but
      it didn’t seem as “responsive” as it was yesterday. I’m too “new” at this to know the FULL scope of the possible issues.
      Perhaps I have a bum reed, or perhaps I didn’t soak it in my mouth long enough.
      B. I have more confidence in the open-ended Neck Strap clip, but I’m still not 100% confident it will not slip out.
      C. I messed around with a couple of the palm pads on the Saxophone, after I watched a more “advanced” video about
      the various note finger layouts. It was kinda “fun” to try some contortions to get another note. Not sure if it was the RIGHT
      note or not, but still fun to see how creative I’ll have to be to use those pads.
      D. Still haven’t been able to get my mouthpiece and reed to “pop” when I suck the air out. I see “just a sliver” of black above
      the reed when I install it, and it WILL play (see “A”), but anyway.
      E. Wind is blowing gusts up to 60 MPH in 5 Degree Temps outside. Good day for a second Sax Practice round!! (Inside)
      F. I’ve come to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter if my Ligature screws are up or down…….until someone tells me different.
      G. Instead of just playing the C Major Scale this morning, I tried other combinations of the notes for the heck of it.
      H. I sure am glad I took piano as a kid, and can identify the notes in their proper order. That will help as I learn. However
      I stink at knowing the notes above and below the G Clef Staff. I know Middle C when I see it, and the “D” above it, but
      that’s about it. Never DID get past C Major John Thompson songbooks in those days (“Swans On The Lake” was the last
      song I learned, before quitting piano lessons).
      I. Trombone was easier (in fifth grade) since there are no complex mixes of pads to work with, but I quit that TOO when
      blowing in the trombone made my teeth buzz, because I had braces!!
      J. Can’t think of a “letter J” item, so I’ll quit typing.

-Soupy

Steve Zukowsky
      Participant

soupy:

Keyboard/piano will definitely help you, especially down the road when you might want to start transcribing solos off recordings. I also began as a trombone player in elementary school, didn’t come to the sax the natural way through the clarinet or flute like a lot of people. And yes, it took me a while to get use to the coordination in the fingers of both hands to get consistency and proficiency with complex musical passages without being heavy handed and “slapping” at the keys.

Hang in there, buddy, and it will eventually come together. From your post above, you seem to possess the introspective skills that will help you gauge your progress. Just don’t be too critical of yourself and invest in an experienced sax instructor. I’m just getting back into playing after a 22-year layoff and have finally found a semi-local instructor in my area because – and just like Johnny has said on this site many times – I don’t want to get back into any bad habits.

Keep pluggin’ away.

Steve CA
        Participant

Steve.zuk (I’m a “Steve” as well): thanks for the time you invested in responding. I appreciate that.

As to the “bad habits” that everyone talks about in various Forums and on video lessons…………I hear everyone TALK about em, but sometimes it helps (as they say, “one should KNOW their enemy, in order to defeat them”) to hear what they are. If you had to make a list of “bad habits to avoid,” what would they be????

I don’t know how many there actually ARE, but perhaps thinking this thru and getting them down on paper from experienced players would be useful to complete rookies like me, eh?

-Soupy

Anonymous

Hi Soupy,
            the first lot of bad habits that complete novices have are
            a – bad posture restricting your breathing
            b – having the sax connected to the strap at the wrong height –
            when the sax is connected, the mouthpiece should be horizontal and resting on the bottom lip, not pulling your head down or pushing it up. This affects breathing properly.
            c – having the mouthpiece to far in or too far out of your mouth
            d – biting down too hard on the top
            e – don’t puff your cheeks like liou armstrong
            f – relax breathe in and out of the mouthpiece without playing a sound, you should hear an even flow of air rushing through the sax. then play a note in a similar manner
            g – when you play the keys keep your fingers relaxed at all times – don’t tense up your fingers, this is so you can play faster and nor stomp around the keys later on
            h – start on a b key – don’t start another key until you can play this comfortably for the count of 4
            i – work your way down the keys a, g, f, e, d and mid c – spend a couple of weeks playing these
            j – if you have problems with a note, sing the note, then play the note exactly how you sing it breathing out wise

the problem with all the above, is you can’t see most of them only a teacher watching you can tell you where these bad habits are – he will say look in a mirror to see problems with your embouchure.

k – also when you play, don’t lift your shoulders up when breathing in etc..

i hope i’ve highlighted some of the most common bad habits a sax player can avoid – but to reiterate you need a teacher to see these and tell you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.