Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Deacon Blues – Steely Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

What a band! Loved their Jazz, Blues, Pop sound. 2 Core members, Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. Their work that was put into recording their music was terrific. All done with Session Musicians. Sometimes 6-7 guitar musicians and multiple Saxophone players. Wayne Shorter, Pete Christlieb ( Deacon Blues ) and Tom Scott. Great horn section!

Liam Williams
      Participant

One of the great melodies and orchestrated backup Mel.

I wish Johnny F does a whole course on backup which we play 95% of the time: chords, lines, philosophy in backup when to play and when not to as well as how sax harmonizes with other brass— which instrument plays which part if there’s no sheet music, swells, fades etc.

This song came out a year after I escaped high school and just started playing in the NJ/NY bar scene, a whole life was ahead of me at that time—- where did time go LOL. I can say that at least Fagen and Becker got out of suburban New jersey and New York. I’m still here and still dreaming. Hahaha. Liam

Mel
        Participant

Hey Liam – I just now first saw your post. A great reply! This song never gets old to me. The music and lyrics were uniquely done.

Here is a live version with some good sax.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.