Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Death of the saxophone solo interesting video sad but true

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leo Salu
    Participant

sxpoet
      Participant

I agree with everything said, i’ve bought a few music books more in keeping with what teenagers listen to these days, and i found the melodies were too unsuitable to play on the sax, in the end i gave them away, as in my opinion no one would seriously want to listen to them played on the sax.

But from the other perspective, the pre nineties solo’s are dated and belong to an older generation, so to play them, is to play stuff out of date with the new generation of kids on the bloc.

Leo Salu
        Participant

Back in the fifties and sixties it was almost a requirement to have a sax solo, fortunately for us Johnny provides most of his music from that era, the people i usually play for are elderly so no problem there………also as far as kids in our neighborhood go we never see them they are all inside playing games. If you look at the views on a lot of classic songs on youtube oldies are still pretty popular. And good for you for trying to play this new stuff i don’t get any of it.

Jeff
          Participant

There’s a good reason why the olde bands of yesteryear are still touring. Either the IQ of the listener has crashed or todays music has nothing of true value to offer. In time the slow public will come to realise that good music requires professional live musicians with performance skills, and not just a DJ programming hacker with a synth. Keep practicing guys.

Leo Salu
            Participant

Well said Jeff. Agreed Afraid the current population is a little slow. The sax solo in any song was always the best part of the song.

Jeff
              Participant

That’s why Pink Floyd keep re-releasing Dark Side Of The Moon. It appeals to the newer generations too. I think we’re on the downhill slope of creativity now.

sxpoet
                Participant

Music style changes is very complex and has nothing to do with IQ, you need to study the relationship of how music has changed over the centuries and recent decades in relation to different countries, and what has caused the changes to take place.

Some countries don’t like to break with traditions, and stick to their cultures very strongly as part of their identity, and their style of music takes a longer period of time to change, and might never change at all.

western music has changed a lot in the last century, there’s lots of variables – world wars, slavery, drugs, electrical instruments, ease of travel resulting in the countries becoming multicultural.

in the Uk i get the impression , that each generation of younger generations don’t like to be compared to their parents generation and would rather be dead than be seen to dress like their parents, or dance like their parents, or share the same music – it interferes with their street credibility.

Jeff
                  Participant

Your post reminded me of this gem from the band IQ

Born Brilliant

Politicians today – LOL

Leo Salu
                    Participant

That was pretty good, nice beat liked it, who knew!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.