Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Developing A Lesson Plan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

Johnny,
      I realize that you have a plethora of material on this site, designed to help the newbie like me and all levels of players. That said, I am sitting here on this cold Sunday morning, knowing that I need a good “Lesson Plan” to follow, since I don’t yet have a personal Teacher lined up here in my area. There are a few names that have come across my field of view, and I need to commit to someone.
      Their rates are typical (about $30.00 per half hour).
      In the meantime, I figure “ok Soupy, you now know (sorta/kinda) the finger positions for the Key of C, and you’ve run thru it a few times yesterday; so now perhaps you should concentrate on good tone to those notes, and accuracy.”
      So my “plan” (so far) is to continue on with the Key of C for a few days, until can find the notes without thinking about it, (in terms of pure clean notes with no squeaks, sqwalks, and with accuracy) and maybe find two or three simple songs (other than JUST “Joy To The World” so that I don’t piss off the wife) in the Key of C to play.
      “When” I move on to the next Key to learn……….I dunno. What I should learn “next”…………I dunno. Breathing technique and a better understanding of how to control the reed will be part of my practicing regime throughout ANYTHING I’m learning.
      Suggestions, ideas, Lesson Plan ………..I’m listening for advice. YOU’RE the “Master,” and I am “Grasshopper.” (lol).

-Soupy

jake
      Participant

Hey Soupy, since you are new to the saxophone, I would take a look at a couple of the premium lessons Johnny has available.

The following link is an e-book he has that teaches many aspects of the saxophone. I personally never downloaded it because I took lessons and had the basics down before I found this site. I did download the Killer blues course though. Very well written and explained well with audio and video examples. I would def start there.

https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/how-to-play-the-saxophone

Another I would recommend is A Perfect Saxophone Daily Routine For Beginners. I did download this one. It gives you a solid 30-60 minute routine that will improve your tone and get you though all 12 keys! This is a must for newbies as well as the advancing student! Hope this helps ya. It sure has helped me!

https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/premium-saxophone-lessons

Good Luck!

Steve CA
        Participant

Jake,
          Thanks for the “heads up.” I just downloaded the E-Book moments ago. Should I be using the Fingering systems mixed IN with the E-Book info, or should I hold off on the Fingering System til later. in your opinion?

-Soupy

Steve CA
          Participant

lol……..I have a question already……..lol………..are you surprised? I doubt it………….

Should the screws to the Ligature, be on the rounded back end of the reed, on the bottom side of the mouthpiece, or should the screws be on top of the mouthpiece, or does it matter?

-Soupy

P.S.: I just took a look at the video you did, about the Complete Fingering System. BIG mistake for a newbie like me!! Scared the HECK outa me!! (lol). That’s gonna take YEARS to learn!! (I realize it’s about “taking it slowly and all that, but still………..).

jake
            Participant

Hey Soupy, so much to learn huh. It will come in time friend. If you are using a standard lig for the alto, the screws should be on the bottom side of the mouthpiece and to the right side of it while its in your mouth. There are various different types of ligs as you will find out if you didn’t already know. The rovner ligs are opposite and the screw is on top of the mp. (So much confusion for newbies. LOL)

Don’t be afraid of the complete fingering system. Don’t look at the whole thing at once. Remember, you must crawl before you walk and walk before you run!! I would get familiar with the complete fingering system a few notes at a time. Start in the middle, like middle C for example. Add a 1 or 2 notes to start with going each way. When you are comfortable, add another 1 or 2. This is not a race and you have all time you need to get comfortable before moving on. By learning all these notes you are learning the chromatic scale! This will be essential later on for many other fun things we can do with the sax!!

I was right where you are now. I have only been at it for around 2 1/2 years now. While working full time and raising a family (seriously cuts into my sax time!!! LOL). Take these small steps, make videos which will show your progress and before you know it… BAM, you will be playing a little bit with a decent tone!

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Hi Soupy,

Jake is giving you some really great insights 🙂 We all had those exact thoughts/feelings going through our minds. Speaking for myself even now, in what is almost 2 years of playing, I can still get caught up in the “lows” of my playing, especially when I did something wrong or I overlooked something when I KNEW better in the first place. It’s all part of the learning process that we go through. I remember when I first started going through fingering for the Saxophone-I felt exactly the same. With a little time and practice, you’ll find yourself hitting those keys without even thinking about it. Be assured you that you WILL get there. Johnny has everything you need to master the fundamentals of the Sax. Take a look at the Member’s testimonial on the home page–those are all very real experiences and it all started with us knowing nothing of the Saxophone.

THINK OF THIS: Ever been to a track field or something and you look ahead and think to yourself “That’s a long way to run! I’ll never make it!” What helps in those times is instead of looking how far we have yet to run, it helps to look down at our feet and pay attention to HOW were running, our steps, etc.. And what happens afterwards? We’re running for awhile and THEN we take a look up….we’re often surprised at how far we have come.
                The point of this little story is rather than looking at how much we have yet to learn, it helps like Jake is saying, just take it a little bit each day; which is like paying more attention to HOW we’re running. With time, you’ll be AMAZED at the progress you’ve made. You’ll be hitting all of those Saxophone keys in no time my friend! Keep rockin’ and have fun doing it 🙂

Steve CA
                Participant

Jake/Baboon: good stuff guys. Thanks for repeating yourselves as you probably have, this gazillion times to newbies like me. I experience that in the motorcycle Forum I’m part of, being a seasoned rider. There are constantly “newbies” to nurture, and it can get really wearisome and old to have to repeat the same instructions over and over and over and over. So when I say “thanks” to you, I mean it, because I’ve been there, and am there even now.

At fifty-seven, (hey! I just realized……..I’ll be fifty-eight in a couple of weeks!!) I have finished raising kids, but am still working full time. I was thinking this morning that my “practice time” will have to be either right before, or more likely “right after” dinner each night. I’m committed to practicing daily.

-Soupy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.