Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces DG – OMG!

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RRafael
    Participant

I agree with Dazza. The search is over. Got my MB2 Fat Boy a couple days ago and am thoroughly impressed. I’ve been playing on a Otto Link for almost as long as I’ve played a tenor but the feel of the FB is not that much different and the free blowing ease of playing is incredible. I have not had problems with the lower register for a long time but the overtones and altissimo has been rather elusive for me. About 2 days before the FB arrived I was finally able to hit the G altissimo at will and hold it. Tried it with the FB and holy cow!!! I have hit multiple notes in the altissimo register and have been more consistent in hitting the overtones as well. Everything about this piece has been a great experience so far and I’m looking forward to improving with it. My saxophone journey has been a long one as I began playing almost 30 years ago. Unfortunately I took a long break a couple of times during that thirty years and started playing again about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. Had my horns overhauled and got acquainted with this site. The only sax teacher I had was a music teacher of many different instruments, and really only knew how to teach music. There is a HUGE difference between a music teacher and a sax teacher. Thanks Johnny. I’ve learned more from you about the sax in the last year or two than I have in the previous 20. Your site is great and the sheet music, courses, and recommendations you make have made a huge difference in my playing ability. Rock On

Anonymous

@RRafael – i noticed that a year ago, when i started learning altissimo, i found some mouthpiece/reed combinations were a lot easier to play altissimo notes, but once you’ve fully mastered all 7 overtones on the 5 low notes you will find you can play altissimo on
        any mouthpiece, i know quite a few students under 18 that can play all the overtones including altissimo on a yamaha 4c
        mouthpiece.

Steve Lester
        Participant

Hey, I received my new Guardala FatBoy II a few days ago (It was at the post office sooner, I was out of town). I LOVE the new mouthpiece! I’ve only been playing 11 months now, but it is VERY easy to blow! Easier than my Yanagisawa #7 metal mouthpiece! I instantly noticed a more rattley/raspy sound! Whoever I tried to growl… Oh man it popped! I use a Vandoren Red #3 reed! I also have some Vandoren Green 3’s, and sone other reeds I will try. But I really like the Red 3 already!! Thanks Johnny for turning me on to this! I also found that the lower register was extremely easy to blow! As was the upper registry. Personally, I didn’t get ANY squeaks until I started changing reeds. Some of the other Vandoren reeds squeaked a little, and some didn’t. I only tried about 4 different types of reeds so far!

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.