Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces DG – OMG!

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dazza
    Participant

Just literally 5 minutes ago the new baby arrived from the postman. THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU JOHNNY!!! I put on a 11/2 reed just to be sure I could blow it and my fears went out the window immediately. IT IS SWEET! I played in the low register first and I was amazed immediately at how nice the tone is. Control is not going to be an issue. A couple of squeaks cause it will take a bit of getting used to as it feels very small in your mouth. I have played around for a couple of minutes – in the office mind you – (stuff the staff) and didn’t want to put it down. I never would have believed it would be so free blowing and not difficult at all to play. Low Bb sounds easy and better than any other MP I have played. WOW. All I can say is get one! Sell the kids and the dog. I am so looking forward to practicing endlessly on my annual leave for two weeks which starts tomorrow. Johnny – you are the best. You were right – the search for the ultimate MP is finally over.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Rock on Dazza 🙂 That is so cool to hear for sure, very happy for you! Which Guardala did you get? You’ll get over those tiny little squeaks in no time at all. I plan on getting one later on in the year or so. From what you’re saying, sounds like it’s a lot more free-blowing than the knock-off Amazon Guardala I used to play…those things were not the real deal. I think you’ll also find that you’re going to be able to hit those higher notes easier too with an MP like a Guardala…it can also make the Altissimo range easier too. With an MP like that, hitting those high notes can be loads of fun to do, having a poor MP and trying to hit those notes is very difficult to do (in the beginning) and is very discouraging. I would consider that to be your MP for life, very cool! 🙂

Dazza
        Participant

Yep. Got the MBII and I am sure it will last a lifetime. I bought my sax over the internet sight unseen and was so nervous about the MP decision which cost more than half the price of my Yani!. Sort out the recording gear over the holidays and uploads a plenty!

jake
          Participant

That’s great news!! Can’t wait to hear you let loose on that thing!!
            Hopefully Johnny will put in another order sometime soon as I am sure there will be some more interest after we hear all the members that got there MP blasting away!!

john
            Keymaster

Wow I’m amazed that you got yours so quick cause you’re in Australia! Most others went to my neighbours in the USA. I wonder if anyone else has theirs yet?
              Anyway, I’m so happy for you Dazza. I knew you were a little worried from a couple of your messages. I found the lower end just a treat as you now know. The upper range will take a bit of getting used to, at least I’m finding, especially for intonation but just keep playing it and do experiment a lot with reeds. I bought a box of reeds last week for the first time in a couple decades that were NOT Java’s but are the Vandoren V16’s and they seem to work very well with these Guardala’s too. I will also pick up some ZZ’s soon too. You just never know which reeds are gonna work the best with these mp’s.
              But most importantly keep blowing it loud and freely!

William Cingolani
              Participant

USPS Tracking says that mine cleared US Customs at 2:51 pm on March 22, 2016, so to prepare for its arrival I’ve been practicing “Cleo’s Mood” in D flat for tenor.

Dazza
                Participant

Yes Johnny. Very pleased with the short delivery time. The MP looks fantastic up close and shines beautifully on my sax. I hope in time I can make it shine some more. I have ordered a box of V16, Java Red and ZZ’s online so I will have a variety to work with. I am going with 2’s as I have some softer 11/2’s to fall back on if I need to. 21/2 might be a stretch on the more open tip.

john
                  Keymaster

I tried the zz’s on alto when I had one last year and liked them because they played right out of the box. not sure how long they’ll last but at least they play right away… and it wasn’t a guardala I had on alto so we’ll see.
                    William, you could transpose cleo’s mood to D by just doing that key signature change like I mentioned in that other song you showed me. I mean Db is ok but D is better!

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

Hey Johnny, talking about Cleo’s Mood I had put a post in your forum asking you about that song, here’s the link below to that post…would like to encourage you to think about maybe making that song available, if it’s worth your time to do so. Sorry for the bad typing in the title post, I misspelled “shotgun” LOL
                      Very happy for you guys who have gotten the Guardala through Johnny 🙂 You guys HAVE to do some uploads here to Johnny’s forum with them 🙂

Cleo's Mood, Shotgun by Junior Walker

wayne wojnarowski
                      Participant

I like V 16’s I’ve had a lot of good luck with them . Is it not good to go between 3 and 3.5 strength? Not all reeds are what they say.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.