Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions D&G pitch jumping

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am having an intermittent problem with D on my Alto and G on my Tenor.
      I don’t seem to be able to always start the note at the proper pitch.
      Sometimes the note begins too high and then it drops down to where it should be.
      I can play for a while with no problems and then suddenly the problem reappears.

Would someone please give me advice on what to pay particular attention to.
      Thank you

Anonymous

i’m no expert, but it could be a pad leaking!

the reason i say this, my teacher (i know i go on about what he says, but he’s been at it all his working life as a sax player) and he keeps saying don’t press so hard on the keys, you don’t need a lot of pressure to keep the key pads down.

Well today i was examining one of my bent key pads, and i noticed a slight gap on one side of the pads that didn’t close properly, i also noticed, if i pressed the key pad harder, it forced the pad closer home. So more pressure on keys results in more pressure on pads!

So i guess if you have a tiny leak on your D pad, then different amount of key pressures could result in different noises coming with the leak being more/less open with varying key pressure?

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Hi Jeffrey,
          Yes, I believe JB is right. When I first started to learn to play from Johnny, I had a Vito Alto Saxophone that would do the exact same thing….and funny thing is with the exact same keys too. When I took it to the shop for the repairs guys to service, that’s exactly what it was. It doesn’t even take much of a leak to cause that to happen. Just like you’re saying, I would start a practice session and all sounded fine, then about 30 min. or so into practice it would start jumping like you say. You probably need to take it to a repair shop and have them look at it, in short order they’ll tell you exactly what it wrong. If there’s a leak, they’ll find it. Let us know how you get along with it.

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I will give them both a thorough inspection.

I played the YTS-62 yesterday for the first time after giving it a thorough clean.
            Man, that sound is gorgeous and the key action is easier than my YAS-26 which surprised me.
            There’s going to be a competition to see who gets the most attention.

Now with the Selmer MP on my Alto and this new Tenor I’m feeling really spoilt for sound 🙂

Anonymous

After careful inspections and finding nothing wrong, I have come to the conclusion that it must be a lack of proper technique on my part. It seems from time to time I don’t attack as hard as I should. The effect on both instruments should have told me, but that’s what experience is for hey?

Cheers

Anonymous

Eureka!!! I’ve discovered the problem on the Tenor.

When the octave key is pressed together with the G key, the octave lever should not lift.
                I discovered that there was a little too much cork on the top G key lever, which was forcing the linkage to make contact with the octave lever, lifting it slightly. This contact was sufficient to cause problems with some notes.

By filing down the cork edge on the top of the G key lever, I was able to create a small gap, so that there was no leverage for the octave key to lift, when the G key is pressed.

Now my notes are more predictable.

Anonymous

When the octave key and G key are pressed together, the pin and lever (green arrow) should not lift.
                  There was no gap between the G key linkages (yellow arrow) so the pin and octave pad were lifted slightly.

This is what was causing my problem with the notes on my Tenor.

Tenor problem illustration image

Anonymous

interesting stuff jeffrey – i might buy one of those sax repsir books i saw today in a music shop today, that covers basic stuff for novices like me!

Anonymous

this is the book i was looking at today in our local music store

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Haynes/Haynes_sax_manual.htm

might just go and buy it

Anonymous

Well i actually went out and bought this book! Hope i don’t start tinkering too much with my sax & end up wrecking it!

Well theres always a repair shop to fall back on i suppose, you inspired me to buy if Jeffrey!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.