Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips doh doh doh hello help from the whiteboard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant

hello why here is some great help from the whiteboard

do you have one handy? maybe write this thang out in C and numbers as illustrated ..

i did, and i’m thinkin’ about flattened thirds, and fifths, and sevenths as i do the scale

next i’m gonna try the F# scale on whiteboard,
      then B, say

there’s a 4th in there
      anywayz i found this ear / singing lesson very handy to write and play out on sax
      soothing even
      hear / sing / play
      am trying to think in the numbers helps me beat feet in the sax journey played here
      hello
      i saw @Johnny wrote, if you can imagine it you can play it

and

saxomonica
      Participant

found this to being lotsa argument to the purpose 🙂
        your thoughts please??

john
        Keymaster

one key,yes best way to do it! both for studying theory and improvisation (riffs etc)

saxomonica
          Participant

Why couldn’t the Clam make new friends?
            It’s not because he was too shellfish, I think he just never opened up.

Which key is best please for us sax players @Johnny ?

Key of C is good, like some songs Rock around the Clock you’ve written out in C / tenor / Night Train too
            Key of Bb you’ve done a lotta work with us in Shotgun also there’s Peter Gunn
            Key of G is good too, Sounds of Silence, Tequila
            Key of F# would work well for rock and blues
            Key of B could be real good for Muddy Waters thang

i’m so confused,
            would you be so kind as to suggest a Key for tenor sax to focus on per the video above and your comment? Cheers!
            You’re simply the best 🙂
            ‘out of confusion comes order’ ….. ,,, i hope
            ~ thinking go Bb? gives full range to bottom of sax? gets one in scheme of “Tune Up” by Jr Walker as well!
            Thoughts??
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhbNhRmIB3s

saxomonica
            Participant

@sxpoet ??

Anonymous

Get the music sheet out, and sing or hum the words of the song exactly how you would sing it in your normal singing voice.

As you sing through the whole song, When you get to the Root note on the music sheet where you sing ‘Doh’ or what ever singing word is on the music sheet, stop singing, get your sax out and play each sax key, until you find the sax key that sounds like your singing ‘Doh’.

Example if Your singing ‘Doh’ sounds like an “E” key in the sax, then opt for using E Major or E Minor as the scale to play the song in. The reason for using E Major or E Minor and not any other Major/Minor scale is because it comfortably fits the range of your singing voice.

Different people sing comfortably in various singing ranges, so they will pick a different major/minor scale.

Next problem is the mood you are in. If you are in high spirits, your singing ‘Doh’ will pick a different scale, likewise if you are sad you will pick a different scale, however the scale you pick will still gravitate to your singing range.

john
                Keymaster

Don’t B sharp, don’t B flat…just b natural.
                  Actually Bb is arguably the best key for tenor (Bb tenor)
                  you notice a lot of blues/rock sax tunes in Bb. Night Train just wouldn’t be the same without that low Bb barking in the melody.
                  I would also practice in C as it is the easiest. Couple other really good keys are G and F. It also depends on the song and where the melody sits on the scale (higher or lower)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.