Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Drawing a line on my Cork to keep the Sax in tune?!? Not a good idea. ….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

When we stopped by the local shop yesterday to check out their tuners, my wife said one of the store reps suggested to her that I “draw a line” on the cork of the MP so that, each time I put my MP on the cork, I would be “in tune”. I’ve never heard of anyone doing that, but I told my wife I don’t think that’s good advice because I don’t think it would be a very reliable way to go about it. Weather can effect our reeds….can’t it also effect the Sax being in tune from day-to-day (if it’s too cold, too hot, etc.) Maybe I’m wrong, but that was just my thought about that kind of advice. It’s been VERY hot and humid here lately…wondering if that has also effected some of my reeds?

jake
      Participant

I have done that to have a general idea of where to place the mp. Of course I still check the tuning to fine tune it.
        It only works for one mp. If you u use a different mp all bets are off. Lol. Gotta love this beast called the saxophone.

john
        Keymaster

it’s not a terrible “general” idea. but yes, things like temperature, reeds, mp’s, and even the way you blow from day to day will have an affect.
          also, if you’re playing with a certain track or group of people etc you may need to make adjustments. to be honest, I don’t make very many from session to session or playing gig because most situations are right on the “A440” money. so once you have truly zeroed in on where that is you should be ok for most of your playing situations.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.