Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Dukoff Mouthpiece–has anyone ever tried one?

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

yes exactly….the first synthetic I tried was a Legere and I didn’t like it at all so I kept away from synthetics. Years later I tried the Fiberreeds and they were WAY different and I switched right away.

Ronnie Niles
      Participant

@Johnny I saw on the ‘Reeds’ page a notice about shipping/delay with shipping-has that been worked out or should I wait? The Rico Cane Reed I play on is 2.5, so I’m thinking a size 2/Medium Soft will be the way to go–I read your post there under the reed strength about the chart was a little off for you=you played a size 3 Cane reed and went with 2.5 Medium Reed on the chart? I would be looking at the Carbon Reed and the Onyx.

saxomonica
        Participant

Ya with respect to Legere reeds i’ve tried a Classic Studio Cut 2. And why, why would they make them pale white, verging on clear, in their colour? So very frustrating to line up the reed with the mp tip … Not for me either. Just sayin’.

john
          Keymaster

@Ronnie, yes it’s ok to order, the distributer is back, I just forgot to take that notice down.
            I think you’re on the right track as far as reed strength for you…when I switched I went from a Vandoren cane #3 to an Onyx Medium. so 2.5 should be good for you. If it’s a bit hard you can shave it a bit….or also try the 2. It’s almost impossible to nail it for everyone (I mean my recommendations) because synths are different from cane so we ultimately need to go by personal experience…..just like mouthpieces!

Ronnie Niles
            Participant

@Johnny We’ll do=I’ll get on that ASAP=2.0 and 2.5 Coppers and Onyx. If the 2.5 are too thick for me, I have a friend who plays Jody Jazz Hard Rubber MP on Alto and Tenor and I can send the 2.5 to him=he’ll gladly take it from me–he has a really good sound. He uses a Yamaha YAS-23 Alto and a Vito Tenor from Japan–the Vito Tenor it’s pretty much the same thing as a Yamaha Tenor. In fact, he had someone put a Yamaha YAS-23 Neck on the Vito=it fit perfectly and it made a big difference in the sound. He’s told me I don’t have to spend a lot of $ on expensive Saxophones to sound good=a good/modest set-up in good working order + the player himself who has a good tone=can sound really good. I was going to create a Soundcloud or youtube account or something to start sharing some Saxophone playing/recording=feedback from anyone here on your website is appreciated.
              @Saxmonica I heard Legere is making some good Synthetic reeds these days, but I don’t know. I’ve checked out some reviews on youtube and, to my ears, the Legeres lack the ‘warm, round’ sound that I prefer, hope that makes sense. Most of the demos I’ve seen from Legere Reeds sounded ‘contemporary’–I guess it just depends how we each hear the sound=we all different ‘ears’ for sound on the Saxophone? To my ears, the Fiber Reeds sound very close to a cane reed. The Legere Reeds I tried in the past felt very ‘fake’ in my mouth too, let alone the ‘fake’ sound I got out of them; very ‘stuffy’ and ‘nasal’ sounding–to me/my ears, the Legere Sounded like that anyway, but others do well with them=I’m not blasting Legere as bad reeds, just didn’t work for me.

saxomonica
              Participant

Thanks @Ronnie, there is no disputing abput tastes.
                What do you call synthetic breast cleavage?
                Silicone valley
                Ha
                Ya apparently changing out the neck, or crook, can make a real big difference in tone.
                Looking at getting a Yamaha YTS52, $900-, yet oddly a neck from YTS62 won’t it fit apparently.
                I liked using Bari sythetics, they are easy to get here. Now playing around with cane again.
                Lotsa guys raving on about the Legere American Cut, but some saying they split real easy.
                Be interested to hear your thoughts about the Fiberreeds.
                Later
                🙂

Ronnie Niles
                Participant

@Saxmonica Ha, Ha; That’s a funny joke 🙂
                  That model of Yamaha you’re looking at is a good Saxophone. We can, usually, never go wrong with reputable manufacturers like Yamaha, Selmer, and so on. I’ve heard stories (I don’t know how true this is-maybe someone can verify if this is true/not true) of Pro Sax Players who played Yamahas and when the time came for recording in the studio, they ditched the Yamaha and recorded with a Selmer Mark 6.
                  I’m not sure what Johnny’s take is on the modern Chinese Horns that are popular with folks these days, but I would never buy one. I’ve heard horror stories about Chinese Horns. A few years back, I spoke with our repair man–he replaced the pads on my Saxophone–and he said he refuses to work on Chinese horns. Oddly enough, here’s a post John has that I found looking at his blog and it’s on buying a Saxophone:

Tips For Buying a Saxophone in 2022 – Play It Safe With These Top Brands

Oh wait…..I went to the bottom of this blog post and found the subtitle ‘Saxophone Brands to Avoid’ and it says to stay away from Chinese Saxophones. Well, that answers my question.

john
                  Keymaster

yup, what you’re saying is right on. My friend was an airline pilot and flew to China regularly and bought cheap instruments there (knock-offs)….mostly guitars but I asked him to bring me back a couple altos, they were less than $200 each. I could barely play them and the guys at the repair shop refused to work on em in fear that after they broke a part it would be impossible to get replacement.

they have no rules in China, a company can put a Selmer logo on a piece of crap and sell it as a Selmer…I know, I bought one!

Darryl Wright
                    Participant

Darryl Wright Hi I have a Dukoff D6 Super Power Chamber for tenor that I bought second hand as new. It just squeaked when I got it, but after a couple of years I pulled it out and found it much easier to play. Dont know why must be improving.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.