Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Dukoff Mouthpiece–has anyone ever tried one?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ronnie Niles
    Participant

I saw a Dukeoff D6* Metal MP today for sale that has a super-power chamber. I didn’t buy it because from looking at the way it’s constructed, I would have a hard time controlling it. I saw it at a local pawn shop, he was asking $150 for it. It has a very aggressive baffle. Has anyone here ever tried a Dukoff before?

john
      Keymaster

oh ya….I played one during my first few early years way before I discovered Guardala. I believe mine was an 8 or 9*
        That along with a Berg were my entry to the metal mp’s.
        It’s been too many years since I played it so I couldn’t really tell you how it felt except that Dave Guardala made better ones since I still use his and dropped those other ones….but hey, there are still guys out these who play them,

Ronnie Niles
        Participant

Thanks for sharing Johnny. I was tempted to buy the Dukeoff, but it looked like I would have a hard time controlling it. Right now, I’m on an Otto Link Tone Edge Hard Rubber, little bit more round/easier for me to control throughout the range of the Saxophone. I’ve been using Rico Cane Reeds, but I’m curious about the synthetic reeds–seems like lots of Sax players are switching over to them? With some proper care, the Rico reeds have been good to me, but it does take a chunk out of my practice time= I was thinking about looking at synthetic reeds.

john
          Keymaster

I have a link tone edge, they are easy to play but you’ll be limited a bit on your sound so eventually you’ll want to move to another mp if you’re going for an edgier blues/rock sound.
            I switched to Fiberreed several years ago and only use them now, mostly the Onyx and the Copper. Nothing like a perfect cane reed but their short life, drying out, squeaks etc are big downfalls for me.

saxomonica
            Participant

Anyone tried a Jody Jazz DVNY 7* ?
              (i just missed out on one for $350 2nd hand on FB Marketplace agh)
              i’m currently using an Otto Link Super Tone Master 7*
              i like the look of the big cut away on the table of the Jody Jazz
              the reed can vibrate more?

@John
              ? thoughts?
              Any one mayhap have one for sale?
              cheers
              🙂

https://www.ozwinds.com.au/jody-jazz-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece-p-2482.html

Ronnie Niles
              Participant

@John Yes, I’ve been looking at other MP options and came across the Dukeoff, but I was concerned it was ‘too much’ for me. I was on your Mouthpiece/Reed section of your website and looking at the Guardalas-thinking about upgrading to the FiberCarbon MP, I should be okay with that one. I don’t think I’m ready for Metal at this time=another reason why I didn’t get the Dukeoff at the Pawn Shop. In terms of the reeds you have, I’m thinking about getting 1 of the Carbon Onyx and 1 Copper brand. You’re 100% right about Cane reeds and I love the Rico Reeds I’ve been using, but it takes time out of my practice/playing=looking for a good reed, taking care of it, and so on.
                @Saxmonica I have a friend who lives a few states away from me and he plays Jody Jazz Hard Rubber and he loves it=he sounds great too. From what he said in the past, models like the DVNY are high-caliber models that Jody makes. He has told me they’re designed for intermediate-and-above players; those who are well-established/can controls the entire range of the Saxophone, and have your chops underneath you before buying it.

saxomonica
                Participant

Ya thanks heaps Ronnie for the info, guess will just have to let it go for the time being then and hit up John’s lessons for a further time. Fun! Rockin’. Heya, here’s a vid of Kwang from Thailand playing a great air, note that she is endorsed by Jody Jazz Mouthpieces and P. Mauriat Saxophones.

Enjoy your forthcoming adventure with synthetic reeds! Please, pass on your feedback in this regard, thanks.

Cheers, Mark

🙂

john
                  Keymaster

the only jody jazz I recall trying is the “Jet” which was very nice.

Bob Premecz
                    Participant

Ronnie, I use a Dukoff D8 with my Buffet Crampon 400 Series along with a Carbon Onyx reed. It’s got lots of punch for Tequila. Mimics Kenny G’s sound on Fiesta Loca. I even do the Billy Joel tune Just the Way You Are on tenor in concert Bb, C for tenor – meaning altissimo G. It works great for me. Been using it for longer than I want to admit. Good luck. BTW – I not a gear nut, but I’m a huge fan of Harry Hartmann reeds, especially the Carbon Onyx and Copper ones that Johnny turned me onto. Can’t thank him enough. No reason to ever go back to cane.

Ronnie Niles
                      Participant

@Bob Premecz Thanks for the feedback, nice to hear it’s working for you! What you’re saying about the Dukoff is the exact impression I got of it when I looked at it=I would probably have a hard time controlling it over the entire range of the Saxophone. Yes, I’m really curious about these line of reeds. In the past, I’ve stayed away from synthetic reeds because the sound I got out of them felt ‘thin’ and ‘phony’ Seems like there’s been lots of advances in making these reeds? They sound so much better/closer to cane=I’m really curious about them. I love my Rico Cane Reeds that I’ve been using and cane reeds sound great; but it takes a lot of time for me to find a good reed in the box, treating it, caring for it, etc. and, being limited on time, it’s getting hard to have consistent practice with them. The cane reed can play good one day and bad the next=back to the drawing board.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.