Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Easy pieces to start playing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James Keillor
    Participant

Hey Johnny,
      Nice site you have here.

I recently just bought a tenor sax and have been teaching myself. I played a few years of clarinet but that was 7 or 8 years ago now. So far I am picking things up quickly but the biggest problem I have is not being interested in the practice pieces in the learner books. I seem to get more enjoyment out of playing music I like. Songs such as Moondance by van morrison have kept me going the last few days or so.

Do you have any suggestions for easy-ish pieces that might be a little more fun to play than the traditional tunes that you seem to find in all beginners books. I would love to learn a few songs that are more rock oriented than the tradional ones you find in beginner books.

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

john
      Keymaster

Thanks for your comments Jimmy, we share a love for much of the same music I see.
        I did create a section called Saxophone Music and so far have posted "Tequila" as a lesson. Check that out first cause I wrote out the main melody notes with a band backing track so you can play along with that. Just started out with that one cause it's a sax standard and a hit as well.

Another one I would recommend to you is "Night Train" which was recorded many different ways from the very bluesy original Jimmy Forest version to the rockin' James Brown one. I'll try and get that one up very soon.

john
        Keymaster

Hey Jimmie, I put up a couple of versions of Night Train. This is an easy one I think.
          You can find the link in the Saxophone Songs section. I may also put up a version of me playing it when I get a chance to record it, when I do I'll also include the backing tracks from my version. Meanwhile check out what's there.

James Keillor
          Participant

Amazing, thanks so much!

Ill have to bust out the sax after i finish my uni assignments. didnt get to play yesterday 🙁

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.