Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Embelishments

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant

Wow! Johhny Roadhouse!

So guys i am 63 i been stooging around with the tenor sax now for about 5 years and my progress is terribly woeful. Ya. That’s because in the first instant i don’t know how to download the backing tracks to a device like my computer to then burn some cd discs for practice even though i keep trying to and, moreover, because i learnt not even a quarter of any one particular tune before trying another …. always chopping and changing, going nowhere really, and i confess i am an occasioal smoker of a spliff too which is rather terrible for my overall saxophonic health and my study mindset.

And i can’t read music either agh!! I beat prostate cancer recently. Now it is a new year yay, i choose to learn ‘Hoochie Coochie Man’ and will do the solo on my harmonica becauser my altissimo is not consistant.

Promise to post my attempt in 2 weeks or so, rough as guts but hopefully a start for more. My purchase of the YTS 23 has fallen through, she sold it for another grand to someone else apparently, i’ll keep looking for another.
      Things have a habit of working out. I wanna connect my fingers to my brain and ear. One day!

Thanks Leo for the inspiration to get movin’!

[Incidentally small typo on John’s music sheet on the download for Hoochie Coochie Man ~ only f is marked as being sharp on the ledgar, yet this air is in concert D, being E for most of us playing tenor; as such then note it’s f, g, c and d all sharp thereupon)]. 🙂

Leo Salu
      Participant

Mark sorry to hear about your experience with prostate, and extremely happy of your recovery, also sorry about the yts 23 deal falling thru, but for the money she sold it for you can get a excellent one on the site “Reverb”. Check this one out, there are a few listed, this is a good site i bought my yts 23 off of them, and it was perfect.

https://reverb.com/p/yamaha-yts-23-tenor-saxophone

I find all the recent comments to be amazing, just consider all the countries that are represented on the forum, we have Canada, USA, UK, Australia, and most likely others, not to mention the ages of the participants. I think you are the younger and rockin robin is the elder, I seem to be in the middle.

PS if i wasn’t 11200 miles away i would let you borrow my YTS 23.

Pete
        Participant

Mark so glad you got the prostate problem sorted, i am sure you will get where you are going with the sax.
          Have you got a laptop with Windows media player with a disc player? you can burn all your recorded backing tracks on there. I burnt all my tracks fron Johnny on there and my recordings of me on sax, or get a mp3player and download the tracks on that. I am no expert, had to figure it out myself a long time ago sure you can, i am pretty useless on computer to be honest but i get through.

sxpoet
          Participant

Wayne Galtier
            Participant

Mark,,,,,Wayne Galtier here……
              You are a fun guy to forum with. I appreciate your humor and comments also. Hell I am 77 and have been bothered with prostate issues for a long time. So far I am only on medicine to help shrink the damn thing.
              Sorry about the Yamaha loss of purchase. You will run across another deal I am sure. I still have the student model Selmer Bundy II and it is ok but not anything like the Selmer super action 80 I used to have years ago. Like an idiot I sold it. Oh well,,,,I was fortunate enough to run across this current horn from a friend of mine who told me about it. I can’t complain for $200.00. It is in very good condition and probably needs a few pads replaced. If I hit the lottery I want to purchase a horn that hits any low note softly without any trouble.The only note I have trouble with is the low D. Leo said he had the same problem on his Bundy II. So I will try that. Thanks Leo.
              Mark,,,,I have been know to enjoy a as you call it spliff!! Not recently although with my age and health I may consider it again. Hell,,,,Willie Nelson celebrated his 90th birthday and I would say he enjoys more than an occasional joint.

Hang in Mark and continue your journey. Your reason for “being here” is in your journey. It will happen.

Wayne

saxomonica
              Participant

Heya guys thanks ever so much for the feedback!

Another Yamaha sax will turn up i was certainly surprised to hear it had been sold on me, i figure all good, heya a loss can be a gain. Actually i have seen some YTS23’s for a grand on FB Marketplace recently.
                The prostate thang is fine my PSA (prostate specific antigen) had risen to 4.2 so they did a MRI then a biopsy (ouch). Above the age of 60 anything over 4 is considered to be at risk ya. So then they wanted to operate on me, complete surgical removal with the DaVinci robotic machine. i turned the proceedure down twice the Oncologist started freaking out on me and so got refered to radiation, a month dose, daily, with small gold seed implant to focus the beam.
                I am an old hippy at heart i tried some natural alternatives, my PSA has dropped from 4.2 to 3.3 to 2.9.
                In the clear now, just gotta have a PSA test every 3 months oe so apparently, if it goes above 5 it is off to radiation clinic for the treatment. I program my brain by saying, gee i wonder how much my PSA has dropped?
                🙂
                Sad to relate 1 in 2 people over 60 will get cancer. Fact of life.
                I beat my problem with a month fasting on carrot juice, supplemented by stewing tomatoes in high quality virgin olive oil with a dash of cayene pepper. Since then i drink lotsa pomegranite juice. And a carrot, celery and ginger juice when i can. I start the day with a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in water, then another glass of water with 2 or 3 freshly squeezed lemons, a splash of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) and a dash of olive oil. After that a perked up coffee, with honey. I take a coupla tablets of vitamin D3 daily. I endeavour to have a sauna a day and to take 300mg of CO-Enzyme Q10.
                A good book to read in this regard is called, ‘Cancer out of the box’.

Lately i filter my water through a water purifier then i put it in a jug for a coupla days with shungite crystals, Then i put the water in a copper jug and use a vibrational speaker in a little wooden box with the copper bottle atop. I use a frequency generator i downloaded to my mobile phone, that is to oscillate the water overnight at 432 Hz. I have 3 little jugs so i rotate the water with the shungite crytals such that they all get a good soak. Shungite is a carbon-rich metallic black stone often used in complementary or alternative medicine. While many people consider shungite a healing crystal, it is technically a mineraloid. This natural substance is similar to a mineral but doesn’t meet the structural and chemical requirements to be considered such.
                Seems to work for me, ya the best sermon is a good example.
                A friend gave me some medical marijuana oil to take recently ..
                Man, i just smeared a bit on a cigarette paper and rolled it up with some weed and tobacco and chilled. Itz all gone now i guess that was fun at the time but now, moving on.
                I really gotta find a way to copy my mp3 downloads, and, all the while i may need to seek professional help. Thanks, Pete!
                Will keep you in the loop.
                Again, thanking you guys. Shine on.

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

sxpoet
                Participant

glad you’ve turned the corner – the problem with corners is no one knows what’s round the next corner.

Never the less, it’s not what you do but the way that you do it – basically everything in excess is bad for you – too much sugar, too much salt, too much water, too much booze … the list goes on. Too much sax practice is that bad for you? lol

set your goals – play, record and upload.

saxomonica
                  Participant

Ya, ya , James, for sure mate, thanks kindly for the focus, and, how much is enough?
                    Love the Scotch ad! Letz not fade away!
                    Cheers,all the best, Mark
                    Incidentally, one likes to stand in the corner of my psychiatrist’s waiting room and blow on anyone who walks by…
                    Most people hate it, but I’m a fan…

🙂

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

https://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/health/too-much-sax-may-be-bad-for-your-health-23433

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

Can You Practice Too Much? (Brainjo Bite)

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

sharing sax practice

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

Important Saxophone Health Effects You Should Know About !

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/too-much-practise.4210/

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

Why you should stop practising now (and what to do instead)

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/overpracticing.188891/

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC28309/#:~:text=The%20observed%20association%20between%20woodwind,or%20venous%20stasis%20(thromboembolism).

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

What if we got our dopamine from playing saxophone?

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

Can Playing Saxophone Be Bad for You? (Explained)

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

https://sopranosaxtalk.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-benefits-of-slow-practice.html

~~~~~~ / ~~~~~~

sxpoet
                    Participant

Name any profession – and you’ll find similar problems that will cause wear and tear damage to different parts of your body and mind.

You’ll either end up damaging different parts of your body or wear out different parts of your body, or you’ll expose yourself to this bacteria, or that virus, or some other toxic substance in the environment.

i guess the only benefit of knowledge is being aware of what risks you’re exposing yourself to, and how to minimise any impact it has on your health long term or short term.

practice makes perfect – that’s both true and false. one could practice correctly or incorrectly without knowing it.

saxomonica
                      Participant

I’m not good with conversations, so I practice talking to large rocks

It makes me boulder

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.