Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Embouchure question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Troy
    Participant

First, I apologize if this was answered in the Page 2 Embouchure post, but for some reason I'm not able to see any of the 2nd page posts besides the topic headers.

I saw somewhere in the past where a guy took a sheet of paper and slid it between the mouthpiece and reed and drew a line across the reed. This line was the point where the reed was always in contact with the mouthpiece. When you are blowing, are you trying to keep your lower lip past this line where the reed contacts the mouthpiece? I'd guess yes so you would not be constricting the reeds vibration…?

Anyway, I have done a little work with the eeee-ahhhh video's and breathing and I've already noticed an improvement, and now I can actually put out a softer and louder tones (which is nice since I was just starting into dynamics), and some early stage growls (hey, I had to try it…it was staring me in the face and it's fun!!!)

Happy New Years all!

Troy

john
      Keymaster

Thanks and happy new year to you too Troy.

Your bottom lip shouldn't be that low on the reed. It goes a little closer to the tip than down to where it makes contact with the rail of the mp. Of course this differs from each mp as they all have different levels of curves etc.

Don't go too close to the tip though because you may "choke" the sound a bit. To develope a big tone we try to put a little more of the mp in the mouth, but there is a fine line from the perfect amount to having it too far in and as you experiment you will eventually feel that perfect sweet spot.
        Good Luck!

Troy
        Participant

Thanks Johnny,

I tried this and also tried pushing my mouthpiece on a little further, and I've only been able to practice a couple of times, but it seems to be making a positive change in my playing so far!

john
          Keymaster

Troy, when you say you pushed your mp on a little further, do you mean sliding it in on the cork on the neck?

Troy
            Participant

Yes, I meant sliding the mouthpiece onto the cork another 1/4 inch, +/-. When I read my earlier post, it was quite ambiguious. It's one of those things I'll take with me to the music store the next time (my neck and mouthpiece). One person's definition of a snug fit could easily vary from the next person's. I've read that also changes the sound from the size/length of the chamber, if that's the right term?

john
              Keymaster

OK Troy, This post is about embouchure and what I meant is we should take as much of the mp inside the mouth as possible. Of course there is going to be apoint when there's so much in there we'll lose control of everything, but go there, and then pull it back little by little until you gain full control again.

When you start getting comfortable you can try putting a little more in, this is because you can get a bigger sound when more is inside… to a point.

Sliding the mp further in on the cork has nothing to do with embouchure, this is in fact how we tune our saxophones. The further in it goes the sharper the note will get.
                Hope this helps!

Johnny

Sabine Semmelrock
                Participant

First: I want to mention I had the same problem as Troy, with being unable to read posts on page 2. That was solved by checking in the address bar how it's displayed. if it says https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/forum?vasthtmlaction=postreply&thread=72.1, then it won't open. change that 1 at the end to a zero, and voila-you can read the post

SO, back to the sax: I have been trying, I can get sounds out of it (wohooo 😉 ) and then I checked on how you are supposed to do it, and I can't! If my teeth go anywhere near the reed, all I get is very loud squeaking. will that get better with practice? Or is it ok NOT to have my (top)teeth on the reed?
                  Cause then I do fine…..

Dave Tucker
                  Participant

Sabine,
                    If your top teeth are on the reed as you say, you have your mouthpiece upside down. The reed should be on your bottom lip that slightly covers you bottom teeth.
                    Dave

Sabine Semmelrock
                    Participant

bhahahahaha, what a mistake to make! I actually went and took a lesson today and found out there that that's what I did wrong. I still have to giggle about that, I am sure not too many people make THAT mistake….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.