Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Embouchure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Laura McKenna
    Participant

I just watched the embouchure video, and I have a question about placement of the lower lip relative to the teeth and reed. Should the lower lip act as a cushion between your lower teeth and the reed, almost helping to keep the mouthpiece steady (and that's why you get that callous/cut in your mouth)? Or should the lower teeth be in contact with the lower lip but with the lip relaxed? (In this case, your hands are actually keeping the mouthpiece in position.) I've never seen a good video or other explanation of this, and it's something I've been thinking a lot about lately as I experiment with different ways to try to get a good tone.

Thanks for your answer.

And by the way, a really, really good tip someone gave me once to keep the mouthpiece from tearing up my lower lip was to fold a piece of cigarette paper into a fourth its size and put it over your bottom teeth, like you were drying a towel on a fence. Try it — it works!

john
      Keymaster

Hi Laura, yes your lip acts as a cushion between your lower teeth and the reed. I tried for a close-up on this but it's quite hard to show a full view on this.

When I point to my lip I try and explain that it's not the top part of it that is used, meaning the outer lip where a woman applies lipstick. It's down lower between 1/4 to 1/2 inch below from the top of your lip.

Another close way to describe it is pretend you're sucking your thumb like a baby does. It's not pulling your lip over your teeth. If you look at my close-up you can still see the top part of the lip as you would by doing the thumb sucking exercise.
        It's fairly relaxed but still a bit firm for control… in other words, if you relax everything you wouldn't be left with any embouchure support.

A beginner will get a sore there because that part of your lip is delicate and it takes a while to develop it.. like I said, this is natural though and don't think that you feel a sore it's because you're doing it wrong.

Nol CHINDAPOL
        Participant

I am having the same problem and just learn that sore is part of the learning curve. So basically in the long run, not only your muscle around the mouth get stronger, you will have the tougher lower lip too. Am I correct?

BTW, I like your video. Thanks for taking your time posting it.

Best,

john
          Keymaster

Yes, that's right. When I don't play my sax for a long time I sometimes get a sore lower lip but only for a day or so then it toughens back up again. In the beginning you might have it sore for a longer period but it will get better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.