Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Ever tried a Theo Wanne Mouthpiece? Many say their the best MPs in the world.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 HI Johnny,

I was checking out on the blog the review you did with your friend Wayne and his different MPs (those sure sounded like fantastic MPs) and was wondering if you have ever personally tried a Theo Wanne Mouthpiece? I’ve read comments online from various professional Sax players who say the Theo Wanne MPs are the best in the world. Some have said that they’re even better than the Guardala MBII Mouthpieces. If you could play with one of these lines of MPs, would you? They’re not cheap by any means, but looking at their website it seems like they we’re made in mind for serious Sax players, those who know they’re going to stick with the Saxophone for the rest of their life, etc..

john
      Keymaster

yup, my review will go something like that too. He was here in Vancouver at Massulo music last year and Wayne and I were there to meet and talk with him. I tried one of his mp’s and it has been the only one I would place above my beloved Guardala. The one I played went for about $750 so I didn’t jump on it at the time but I probably will get one one day. I believe Theo’s the best in the world at the moment for making and modifying saxophone mouthpieces.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Do you know what model of Theo Wanne you got to try out? How difficult/easy to play with are they compared to your MBII? In reading testimonials online, the model lots of players are ramping & raving over is the Durga. Back home, none of the music shops who sell Saxophones have even heard of Theo Wanne before–and that’s no joke. I was looking at his list of players who endorse his MPs, and they’re all among the Elite players in the world. Have you seen how gorgeous some of his Saxophones are? WOW. From the demos I’ve heard they sound fantastic too. Financially they’re a little “out of my league” LOL I think the price I’m paying for my Trevor James Saxophone(s) are very, very reasonable.

Anonymous

Back in June, i recorded Greensleeves twice using the
            same Rico Jazz Select 2 Reed –

1st using my Alto Guardala King metal Mp
            http://youtu.be/uu59ukkmPEs

2nd using my Alto Theo Wanne Kali Rubber Mp size 8.
            http://youtu.be/aL6lxOXJ320

the only difference to me being the rubber mouthpiece
            sounds softer.

I wan’t to get a Alto Theo Wanne Kali metal Mp size 8 next,
            just to complement the rubber kali i have. But the Durga does
            sound tempting!

jake
            Participant

What perfect timing for this topic. I have been looking at these pieces as well the past few days. I was considering selling off some of my current pieces in order to purchase a new Theo-Wayne mp. They do look tempting. I was liking the sounds of the DATTA mp, it is the brightest of the bunch. If you purchase through a place like WWBW.com, they offer returns with a small sanitation fee. Well worth it if the piece isn’t for the individual.

john
              Keymaster

I’m pretty sure the one I tried was the Durga. Like I said, it’s the only thing I’ve ever tried that would make me switch from my Guardala so far.
                Very easy to play and my sound was better.

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Your tone & sound is AMAZING Johnny, I only wish my tone/sound was even 1/10 as good as yours LOL—and to hear you personally say that with the Theo Wanne that it was even better?!? That’s incredible.
                  My question is this: Jake brings out a good point in his comment above about the possibility of the piece not being for the individual—-Could it be a mistake for someone to make the investment in a pro model mp like this (I say investment because that’s exactly what it is) without really being ready for it? What I mean is falling into the thinking that it holds the “key” to sounding good without even having mastered all of the fundamentals that you, or any pro player, would teach? Doesn’t seem to make sense to spend all that $ on a super-high caliber MP like this if we don’t have a 100% rock-solid tone, can’t do long tones, sub tones, etc.? Maybe even having a 200% rock solid-foundation?
                  JAKE: I was looking directly at theowanne.com, didn’t even know wwbw.com sells them LOL Are you still looking at a new Tenor Sax?

Anonymous

can i chime in ask isn’t it the size
                    of the mouthpiece that is important?
                    and how easy it is to play when you
                    1st try it out?

I think its a personal choice what
                    anyone is prepared to pay for a
                    mouthpiece, All my mouthpieces
                    i would have sent back if i couldn’t
                    play any of them.

jake
                    Participant

Yea Michael still browsing around. I would like to find something used for a tenor. I would really like to play it 1st before buying. Not really much options really close to me though. I just landed a pretty sweet deal on this Selmer Bari sax so my wait for the tenor will continue. As Johnny has previously said your tone is 90% setup and the individual and 10% sax. So once I get that optimum setup a newer tenor should really rock!

Sxpoet, yea the opening is important but there are other variables that make a mp easier to play. I have a couple mouthpieces that are the same sized openings. I had one professionally hand finished and WOW, that piece plays so freely and eaisier than any other mp I currently have. The reason I am still looking for other mp such as the Theo-Waynes is I don’t know if I’m totally happy with the tone I am getting from my current setup. I know a big part of the process is probably me as I have only been at it for 2 years now but I can hear big differences in the MP that I currently have so if I can get a better sound from a better mp I’m willing to go for it even though I know I still need to put the work in!!

Anonymous

exactly – i did say 2 things size & how easy it is to play!
                        The wrong choice of reed size/type can also fool people! about
                        how easy it is to play a new mouthpiece!

The last thing i would say to anyone, is don’t buy a specific
                        mouthpiece as their quality of playing doesn’t warrant it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.