Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Expanding your mind :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant

Brothers and Sisters!
      Saw this vital FB post by Alistair Jones on Saxophone Playing Techniques group, and, would you be so kind as to share the love?

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing, that reiterates what my teacher suggests – the way he puts it is slightly different.

He says at the end of your practice session, forget everything you’ve just done, put your favourite backing track on and just noodle away for 5 or 10 minutes, unrestricted to any musical rules, its just you playing what you feel.

I was taught the G basic blues scale, so at the end of my practice session, i put on the G major backing track and just play anything that i feel like, completely ignoring anything i’ve learnt, and just enjoy playing along to the track – which is exactly what i did below,
        but occasionally, what you’ve learn in lessons, creeps into the playing without you realising it..

i never had guitar lessons, and a lot of new guitar players, spend hours trying to play one famous guitar piece to show off, i could never be bothered to do that, i just used to get my guitar out and unwind after a days work and play any bunch of chords or notes and escape from reality .. and thats an example of guitar playing, i cant repeat exactly any of those recordings, each time it will be slightly different, but the fact that i enjoyed playing them, is more fun and inspiring, than repeatedly going over a piece of music sheet and getting frustrated.

What helps to put you in a positive mood for tomorrows practice session, is to noodle at the very end of your practice, don’t finish a lesson in a state frustration with a music sheet, otherwise the next day you’ll just pick it up again, thinking “oh great, i’ve still got to get my head round this sheeete….”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.