Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Fantastic Misty Sax Cover Johnny :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,

Your Sax cover to Misty was outstanding! I love how you played those King Curtis Sax lines in there, added so much color to the song.

One of the things I’ve always loved about King Curtis (one of my favorite all-time Sax players) is his tone and how versatile he was–playing ballads one moment and then playing high-screaming Altissimo notes the next moment. I really wish I could have seen the guy play in person–I imagine it would have been an amazing experience 🙂

Thanks for making such awesome Sax instrumentals available on your site, this is the good stuff 🙂

RockinRobin
      Participant

Misty: Great rendition Johnny. Good practice for the low Bb; trying to get that low velvet Bb sound. I’m still in Florida; moving soon, around March 5th. I’ll be away from the sax for about 2 weeks and without internet for about a month or so starting on March 4.

RockinRobin
        Participant

I played the first page. Bb’s were not not duds. They were full sounding but not the velvety sound I’m looking for. I think I want more of a sub tone Bb. Good Eb scale practice. I went up and down the Eb scale. syncopating, and jazzing up the Eb scale

Don Gutheil
          Participant

Hi Johnny,
            The backing track “download” button opens the media player box which begins playing the track. I can’t get it copied. Any suggestions?
            Also…. I’m used to playing this in concert Eb. I haven’t even tried it in this key and I may even like it. BUT, is there any way you could bump it up to Eb?
            Thanks
            Don G

john
            Keymaster

@William…I usually have trouble hitting the low Bb head so I usually cheat by glissandoing down to it

john
              Keymaster

@Don, might be your browser not playing along with my website….can you try another browser?
                If it persists let me know, I can email it to you.
                as for the key…no, it needs to be in this key because of where it ends up with the uptempo swing. this is the part that I copied mostly from the King Curtis version and going up a tone makes it very difficult for the higher notes.

Don Gutheil
                Participant

Hi Johnny,
                  I’m embarrassed. I had this problem once before and you told me the same thing…. “Use another browser”. I like and normally use Microsoft internet explorer, which is the browser that doesn’t download your track. After switching to Microsoft Edge, it worked fine. I’ve got to remember that. You may want to add that advice into your download page.

Regarding the Misty key question. I understand your point, but I only asked because that tune is standard in Eb concert. Not that I can’t play it in that key, but others are used to Eb.
                  I also looked at the last page of the Curtis style and I don’t think I would have a problem with a higher key. On the other hand, after playing it in my Eb, I may change my mind anyway. Is there a way that you can easily bump it up to Eb?
                  SHORT STORY….. When I was a young dumb teen, and after having my sax worked on in Manny’s Music Store in NY, a guy standing next to me offers to play check it for me. The salesman winked to encourage me to say yes, but I had no idea who the guy was – so I said “no thank you”. So the guy leaves and then the salesman tells me that it was King Curtis. I still have that MK VI but now I can only say that King Curtis stood next to it. Oh-well.
                  Fortunately, I got to know Sam The Man Taylor about that time. He was my idol. He was using a wide body HR Berg 120/2 and that started me on the big Berg journey over the years.
                  ANOTHER, but related SHORT STORY…. Sam Taylor recommended Garvin Buschell as a teacher, and so he was – and a great one – and a top NY musician (You may want to read his biography). Anyway, since I then became a Sam Taylor fan, I HAD to get a Berg 120/2. Garvin said to me “Whatcha get that for? That’s like blowing up a cow’s ass”. He didn’t mince words.

john
                  Keymaster

Great stories Don! are you still with the Berg?
                    the browser thing happens very rarely, maybe cause most people use Firefox and Chrome I guess cause there’s only been a few complaints other than you over several years and 1000’s of downloads. I’ll bring it up with my tech guy next time we chat.
                    at the moment I’m too swamped to go back to Misty…give me a holler down the road a bit if you still want it transposed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.