Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Fibracell reeds came in and I'm one happy man :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Fibracell-reeds
      Winslow

The Fibracell reeds came in the mail today and I’m blown away at how well these reeds responded to me. They are much bigger and brighter sounding than my Java Greens (at least for me they were). My entire family noticed the difference right away. I’m not putting any more air into the Sax than I was with the Java Greens–it’s just pops out nice, clean and compact. The sound and intonation are very even throughout the entire range of the Sax. The low notes were very easy to pop out and the Altissimo came out nice and clean. They made my Claude Lakeys sound like a completely different set up all together. I prefer how the Claude Lakeys fit in my mouth vs Jody Jazz because of the shape of the beak on the MP, but the Claude Lakeys with the Java Greens were playing out of tune in certain registers of the Sax. That doesn’t seem to be a problem any more with these reeds, so I’m very excited 🙂 Now I’m going to get these reeds for my Alto and Soprano and see how it goes.

With these reeds, I’m not going to have to worry about caring for them, soaking them, treating them, etc.. I was told they’ll play the same every single day and not affected by weather. I’m really excited about this–I can focus more on practicing/getting back into Sax playing shape vs spending a lot of time caring for reeds. Today’s a happy day for me 🙂

brother cavefish
      Participant

fibrecells did not do it for me , sold ,mine

john
        Keymaster

good Michael, it’s great to get something that works out (with so much available today)
          I thought they were good too, as compared to Legere at least (couldn’t play em)
          But still not as good as the Fiberreed Onyx or Carbon

Mel
          Participant

Michael – I too like not having to care for reeds. I have been playing D’addario Plasticovers and a Fiberreed Black Onyx. Slap em on and play away.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

@Johnny I’m definitely going to look into those reeds as soon as I can, probably in the month of May. Got some family stuff we’re doing first over the next few weeks. I’ve been hearing great things about them from lots of players. I tried Legere reeds from a music store locally, didn’t like them at all. I’m going to look over your blog post about them. Need to find the right size of reed for me that’s comparable to the Java Greens I’m using. From what I can tell from your demos, the Carbon sounds like it’s big, loud and bright vs, the Onyx sounds more fat and full?

On a side note, thanks for offering transcription services now, will make use of that throughout the year for sure. I got some Junior Walker and some King Curtis stuff I wanted to be transcribed.

@Mel
              I love Cane reeds, but it’s time-consuming having to take care of them as you said. These reeds will help me get a lot of consistent practice. I’m bringing them to my next sax lesson on Wednesday. I wasn’t sure how my Claude Lakey/Jody Jazz Mps would respond to the Fibracells, but it was a real eye opener–especially with the Claude Lakeys.

@brother
              cavefish Which reeds are you using now?

brother cavefish
              Participant

i am using java green, V16 , d, addario select jazz vandoran trans, hempke it all depends on the MP i am using each MP reacts differently to various reeds also if i need a MP darkerr brighter

RockinRobin
                Participant

I’v been blowing the carbon fiber Onyx medium reed. They seem to work for me. I don’t use one mouthpiece. Theo Wanne slant sig 2 7* or 8 or Guardala fat boy carbon fiber 7*. Rovner ligatures are what I use most of the time

Pete
                  Participant

William what do you think of the Slant Sig 2 m/p.

RockinRobin
                    Participant

Pete, The Slant Sig 2 7* is my favorite m/p. About a year ago I was looking for a Stan Getz type m/p and Theo Wanna was explaining mouth pieces of the 1940s saying that tip openings were no larger than 6 or 7. Nigel McGill, sax man in England, was demonstrating the Slant Sig 2 so I bought a Slant Sig 2 7* and an 8. I like the 8 and the 7* So I have a good collection from the Guardalas fat boys to the Slant Sig 2.

Pete
                      Participant

William
                        Great i checked out Nigel McGills review and with your opinion i think i will give one a go..
                        does it have a fairly low baffle and what lig do you use.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.