Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds fibrereeds hemp

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bengt Ostling
    Participant

Received my Hemp and Onyx reed last week and having some mixed opinions about them.
      In general Johnny’s demonstration is very accurate.
      In my opinion, the carbon onyx reed felt and seemed superior over the hemp.
      Also, noticed that they are very accurate using the tuner
      (a little flat through out the register but easy to adjust with the mouth).
      If every sax player in a horn section would use one of these reeds they should always
      play in tune.
      However, the altissimo register is for me very unstable. Tried working off a bit on the hemp
      reed (at the altissimo point of the reed) but no improvement. So far I experienced that with
      the cone reeds, the harder reed the more stable the altissimo range gets (talking #2.5-#3.5).
      Would like to try a MH onyx reed instead of the M that I got, Johnny do you have any of those or do you
      have any other suggestions?
      Lots of benefits with these new reeds though, thanks for introducing them.

john
      Keymaster

ya, I’m starting to feel that my hemp M could be a little weak so thought about a MH.
        I haven’t ordered any MH’s yet but will do.

Bengt Ostling
        Participant

Please let me know, The carbon onyx reed MH sounds exciting and would like at least one too.

brother cavefish
          Participant

when are the new Fiberreed “Carbon Onyx” hitting the streets

john
            Keymaster

Only available on my website at the moment since I met Harry (Fiberreed owner) at NAMM.
              I’m sure he will have them out to their regular distribution channels later this year.
              He’s having some issues with the suppliers for the fiber carbon materials so it’s going a little slow right now, that’s why we’re backed up with orders on a couple reed sizes as shown on the reed page (tenor and alto mediums). The other sizes are in stock tho.
              I’ll get some MH’s as well and will make an email announcement when they’re on the way.

brother cavefish
              Participant

when mediums come out post please

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.