Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Finally – just bought a YTS62 vintage purple logo tenor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

good to hear it… I’ve bought & restored a few 1920s silver saxes; this place http://musicmedic.com/ is good for pads & supplies

Mark Kiziuk
      Participant

I’ve purchased a few things from them. I also purchase items from instrumentclinic on eBay. That’s where I got my pads from. The kit came with the identical pads that are in my sax PLUS..a leak light,2 pad feeler Gage’s (I think made from Mylar?), neck cork, cork wedges, contact cement with applicator acid brush,shellac stick and instructions for pads and neck cork! For around 40 bucks! Nice!
        Mark

jake
        Participant

Very Nice looking horn there! I was actually looking over the YTS62 before I purchased my tenor. After many reviews and a long time looking I decided to go with a Vintage Yamaha YTS61. This was the predecessor to the 62. I read somewhere that the 61 was made to compete with the MVI?? Who knows if thats true or not. Getting a nice sound out of her, thats all that counts!! You should be happy with that horn! Like you, I also grabbed an Ebay special. HAHA. Like rolling the dice, this time my numbers came in. LOL.

Anonymous

Hi Jazz Cat, congratulations on your latest Tenor. Do you know the serial number yet?
            My YTS-62 looks very similar except that the Yamaha Logo is engraved.
            I wonder if there are any other major differences between the two.
            My horn is engraved with made in Japan and serial number 042321.

Jazz Cat
            Participant

good to hear it Jake, right re 61s are great horns too; many also like the intermediate 52s. I just know I’d outgrown my 23, as nice as it is the keywork isn’t as tight/fast as the 62s (and the octave key is much better on a 62 vs 23). No re serial #. It had turned into a hobby looking at ebay yamaha sax auctions; nice to be done with that for now. Right it’s like rolling the dice, so I was careful to choose well; plus it has a money-back 14 day guarantee which is a must when buying horns on ebay.

Kevin
              Participant

Visually it looks like you made a great choice. I’ve been watching the same similar listings off and on (window shopping, not serious buyer since can’t find the time to practice the 2 horns I have now) and this one looks to be exceptional for that vintage of make.
                I’ve purchased both my horns on Ebay with good results, and also seek out the ones with the 14day return option. I did once purchase an older vintage Beuscher horn tenor sax that was in the $250 range, but the seller poorly packaged it and it had damage that would have cost that much to remedy, so I contacted the seller, put in a claim with Ebay, and was promptly refunded, so my Ebay experiences to date have all be positive.
                Looking forward to hearing from the purple edition tenor!

Jazz Cat
                Participant

hey Kevin, I like those vintage Beuschers a lot, I’d bought a 1920s c-mel on ebay ($300ish?) that suprisingly plays just fine; has a nice warm muted fuzzy type sound (‘they’ invented c-mels to be quiet on purpose); even came w/a rare c-mel mouthpiece. Here it is at left, next to 2 1920s american-std altos:

3 vintage silver saxes

1920s silver saxes are wonderful; a neat piece of history and most are inexpensive. btw american standard horns are no good to play, beuschers are fine though

Anonymous

Hi Jazz Cat

Pleased to hear your latest acquisition plays well.

I’m curious to know how long after your YTS-62 was made, did they make my YTS-62?

What is your YTS-62 serial number?

Jazz Cat
                    Participant

mine’s in the low 7000s, placing it mid-80’s.

little known fact: you can email them and ask (and they will answer):
                      bandandorchestra@yamaha.com

Anonymous

Hi Jazz Cat

Thanks for the email address, I’ve done some searching for number/year before and nobody seems to know, claiming that Yamaha’s serial numbers are a secret of sorts, so it will be interesting to hear what they say, I’ll let you know.

My YTS-62 neck is identical to your sax’s with the same 3TF badge. I can’t see any difference in the body either, apart from the printed purple logo.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.