Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions G# key tends to get stuck with moisture sometimes…what that key in particular?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey guys,

In between the 5 different Saxophones that I’ve been able to use/play with; it always seems the G# key that key that gets stuck with moisture and we fix very easily with a small piece of paper and just press on the key, then just slide the paper out. Does anyone know what it is about this key in particular that does that?

Anonymous

i once asked a plumber the same question – and he ssid water when it travels down due to gravity, will find the shortest path to get to the ground.

the same thing happens on the sax, my g# and sometimes the a key, water tends to gather at curves and tries to drip off as it is a shorter path to ground, then you’ve got the added issue of you blowing the collected drops out of the holes near any bends – i love physics!

If you want a good physics debate start of with – i honestly believe dark matter travels faster thsn light, see if they csn disprove that …

Anonymous

I have a new Yamaha YAS-26 and this problem really bugged me in the beginning.

I spent a few weeks hunting for ordinary blotting paper but it is not available anymore!

Then I purchased a pack of Palladio rice paper oil-absorbing blotting tissues from the pharmacy cosmetics department.

I tear one paper in half, fold the one piece and place it under the middle closed valve-pad and the other half I place under the lower closed valve-pad as these are the two which have given me problems.

This is the way I store my sax (after swabbing and cleaning) after playing. Now the only time my pads stick is when it has a build up of grime or the hinge needs a little oil.

I use an ear-bud moistened with water and carefully wipe the pad’s surface, the outside-edge and inside-edge of the tone-hole, then the sax is like new again.

I use trumpet valve oil to lightly lubricate the hinges and shafts.

William Cingolani
          Participant

I use strips of paper towel and slide between the pad and note hole. Seems to work for me.

Jazz Cat
            Participant

old-school tip: what I’ve done for 30+ years is Use a DOLLAR Bill, folded lengthwise in half, insert between pad & bore, close pad, pull bill out, cleans the G# pad great

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Hi Ken: yeah, I knew about the dollar bill tip…but my wife didn’t like the idea of using family $ to fix a sticky pad LOL. I told her I can “resolve” that problem by using a $20 bill instead LOL

Junior Sanchez
                Participant

i think using a bill no matter denomination (one ,two , five,etc..) it works

Marc
                  Participant

The main cause why that key gets stuck is that it’s moved by a spring, not by a lever actuated from a finger.
                    All toneholes got wet by saliva and condensation. All closed tone keys tend to get stuck, but everyone except G# are finger operated. That tone key is lever closed, and by pressing the left pinky key the player only releases that lever, and the spring opens it. All other closed tone keys are opened directly by a lever finger-operated. And obviously our fingers apply way more pressure on them than a single spring.

Cheers.
                    Marc.

Tim56
                    Participant

Pad Stick. It works! That said, I think they are out of business. It is a strip of cloth with a stiffener between 2 layers. You can make it yourselves. You will never be bothered with sticky pads again. I use it, OH, every 2 days or so. Johnny told me about it some time ago. The guys that had to company gave him some when he was on tour. Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.