Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions G with octave pressed in

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dan Solem
    Participant

Guys,
      I’m having trouble when going to the High G…Sometimes it squeals and sometimes I can hit it ok…Been messing around with my embouchure and varying air pressure…In general it seems I have more of the mp in my mouth for lower register notes and less as the notes get higher. Is that right? I’m going to focus on playing with the octave key pressed and see what I can figure out…Thanks!

john
      Keymaster

By high G I’m assuming you mean second octave G right? The one we play with the regular G fingering and not the one above the highest F.
        So, I remember many years ago when I was studying with a great sax teacher, I was having troubles with this G as well. We happened to be at his saxophone retreat camp with many of his students…it was really cool. Anyway, he told me to go find a spot on that hill over there in this meadow and play that G note for a couple of hours. Only the G I asked? Ya, only play that one note for at least 2 hours he said. Hit it this way, hit it that way, less mouthpiece, more mouthpiece, more air, less air, open your throat more, close your throat more, etc…every time you play it, you’ll notice something slightly different. Learn from that small thing, whether good or bad and learn from it.
        Guess what? A couple hours later I could play that G really really well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.