Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video "Get a Job" by the Silhouettes–dig that 1950's sound :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey guys,
      I’m getting ready to start learning all of Johnny’s collection of 1950’s songs…GOOD stuff to say the least (I did learn Rock Around the Clock about a year ago, but plan to re-do it) and couldn’t help but remember this one that my parents used to play in the house all the time by the Silhouettes. I think it would make a fantastic Saxophone Instrumental to say the least. Can’t help but love the Sax solo in this one, it starts around the 1:30 mark of this song. This kind of playing, along with old Motown/R&B, is easily my favorite kind of Saxophone stuff. Even to this day, people can’t help but love it. In the very shorty time I’ve been learning to play from Johnny, I’ve never met one Saxophone player who said they didn’t like hearing this kind of playing. These timeless classics just seem to withstand the test of changing times and that’s what great songs just seem to do 🙂 I’m not sure who the Sax player was on this great song.

William Cingolani
      Participant

Great song. 1950’s are back in town.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

I wanted to share this one below too and forgot to paste the link, sorry. Sax solo start around 1:10 or so? I think it just makes for great stuff on the Saxophone to say the least, everyone just seems to love it too–great songs just seem to stand the test of time 🙂

Anonymous

some of these 50’s songs are
            great for singing/recognizing the
            singing notes in terms of numbers on the
            scale. If you can sing the notes and learn to remember which notes represent which numbers, you can start to pick out which notes are intervals of the 1st note

first you can hear the
            5 6 8 8 8 8 starting on C

then you can hear the
            1 3 5 chord starting on F below C

later on you hear a
            5 6 5 3 starting on C

then
            5 6 5 6 7b 6 5 3 starting on C

in the middle of the song you can hear
            more variations, but its just a lot of repititions, listening out for the right chords they fit in

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.