Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Getting In Tune

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Saxfella
    Participant

I’ve often wondered why if instruments are tuned to 440 why I run into difficulty being in tune with some recorded songs or backing tracks. Case in point: the setting I have for use in my band is a half tone out when trying to play JF’s backing tracks. In this particular case I have to push the mpc in at least 4-5 mm and with the cork I currently have that’s no mean feat. Tuning at 440 should be the same all over the world. Anybody care to weigh in on this?

john
      Keymaster

Have you tested to see if your sax is in tune with itself? The way to do it is play a low Bb, then without changing the fingering overblow and hit the F. If that F sounds way off then your sax is not in tune to itself.

Mark Konrad
        Participant

Hey Johnny,

I was researching a little bit about tuning my sax, I have to say that it was very helpful since I got to know also about the transposing of notes which was also new to me.

I see that you tell here to check if the sax is in tune with itself by overblowing. I do not understand what exactly you mean by that (sorry for the beginners question…). I am supposed to just blow harder? 😀

Also, while playing your songs with the videos and backtracks sometimes you get a very nice tone, specially in the rock area. It is like a rough, hard tone, how do you get that one?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated!

john
          Keymaster

It’s not really over blowing but holding the low Bb and getting a middle Bb with the same fingering. If you’re just starting to play yhe sax don’t worry about this right now…it will come easier a little later on.
            As for getting a certain tone… everyone will develop their own. It is a combination of your mouthpiece, reeds, sax, and mostly how YOU play into it with your air and embouchure. These things all take time to develop. Personally, I have always leaned toward rock and roll style of music so that’s a big part of what I hear in my head and so it comes out that way… that’s what I try to do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.