Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Greetings from Amish Country

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Craig35
    Participant

Hello everyone, my name is Craig Miller and am new (approx ~2 months) but have gotten a lot out of Johnny’s site to date. I play guitar in an instrumental surf and rockabilly band and much of the music we play has sax parts either as fills or major parts within the song. We’ve tried recruiting for a sax player but Lancaster PA isn’t exactly a hot bed of artful talents so I decided after a couple weak auditions from Craig’s list responders that I’d give it a go myself. Truth is like Johnny I have always had a love affair with the saxophone from when I first heard The Theme from Peter Gunn. So armed with the excuse I needed to convince my wife I needed a tenor saxophone I’m on my way.
      I am working on Sleepwalk because I know that song really well because I play the lead on it in our band. However I’m finding some of the triplet flurries to be a challenge. If anyone has any insight into how best to tackle quick flurries or passages I’ll take the assist. In the meantime I will work on them the old fashioned way by repetition and muscle memory.
      If anyone is from Southeast PA and would like to get together to work on saxophone stuff please let me know.

john
      Keymaster

Oh cool, I have a few friends who play in an instrumental surf band too!
        So you are having a hard time playing the triplet passages? I know the song is full of them… quarter note ones eighth and 16th ones too.
        Are you having a hard time because of the rythme of them? Cause they don’t come by too fast. Some people have a hard time reading triplets but because you already play guitar I’m guessing it’s more of a fingering thing?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.