Home Forums Mouthpieces Guardala Mouthpieces

This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author

george moody
    Participant

hi jonny, thanks for your last email regaurding mouthpieces for my Selmar Paris Tenor Sax, in which you recomended a Guardala models , I have being looking on Ebay and there a couple on there about my price range but there are a size 7 star or an 8 at the moment i am playing a bobby dukoff size d5 are they going to big for me?

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

Hard to say without trying them. Mouthpiece makers usually have their own sizing systems. What I would do to get the closest estimation for comparison is find out the all Dukoff sizes from top to bottom and do the same for Guardala then see if those numbers you're wondering about fall into the same place on the scale.

Are you sure the Guardalas are numbered? the ones I have do not come in different sizes. The ones you are looking at may be from a different maker.

Dan Fleming
    Participant

I don’t think Gurdalas are numbered. I just got one from WWBW and it measures about a 122 tip opening. If you’re used to playing a smaller opening, it may give you some problems until you get used to it. WWBW has a good return policy to let you try out a mouthpiece before you buy it.

Rodney Name
    Participant

Hello everyone,

A pleasure to be here…as far as the Gaurdalas M/P’s what are the tip openings?? i.e MB II ?? etc??

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

Don’t know the actual number. Each model is slightly different though… I have the Brecker and King Curtis models. They are fairly opened though and good for getting a nice blues/rock sound.

Kevin
    Participant

I ran across the following web page that provides a pretty cross reference-
    http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.tenorsax.html

maybe this will help.

It shows the Dukoff 5 at a 0.085″ tip opening.

Rodney Name
    Participant

Hey Johnny, based on your recommendation of David Guardala M/P’s I pick one up for $349.00 from Amazon. However, the ligature doesn’t allow and reed to fit. Can you recommend a ligature that will complement the M/P?

Thanks

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

Yes, on my Guardala I use a Winslow lig. I bought mine almost 30 years ago for $90 so I would think they’re still expensive but they’re one of the best. Check them out and you can find similar ones that will do the trick.
    You can see what they look like on my Ligature video under the “tips” section of the free lessons.

Rodney Name
    Participant

Thanks again for your time !!

Rodney Name
    Participant

Spent a hour plus looking for Winslow..it seems to be hard to find. However, another alternative is Saxxos, similar principle as to pressure point system. They from Germany and a bit difficult to purchase in North America.

Once again, I’ll take Johnny’s advise and look into Rover & Van’s as stated in the “tips” section.

Smmmooooth Saxing !!

jake
    Participant

I was looking at the chart Kevin provided and have seen it before. I was looking at the Guardala mp on amazon as well. I was looking at the MB model piece. Any idea on the stock chamber opening for this piece. I can’t seem to find one anywhere. I have a berg that is 120 and it is relatively hard to blow due to its openness. As per the chart on jody jazz comparison, they seem to start at .110. There gonna be much of a difference between that and my Berg??

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

Oh, I get a lot of results when searching for winslow, but no matter, yes the saxxos are a similar thing. I think someone on this forum said they ordered one and are now playing it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.