Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Guardala Mouthpieces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    george moody
    Participant

hi jonny, thanks for your last email regaurding mouthpieces for my Selmar Paris Tenor Sax, in which you recomended a Guardala models , I have being looking on Ebay and there a couple on there about my price range but there are a size 7 star or an 8 at the moment i am playing a bobby dukoff size d5 are they going to big for me?

john
      Keymaster

Hard to say without trying them. Mouthpiece makers usually have their own sizing systems. What I would do to get the closest estimation for comparison is find out the all Dukoff sizes from top to bottom and do the same for Guardala then see if those numbers you're wondering about fall into the same place on the scale.

Are you sure the Guardalas are numbered? the ones I have do not come in different sizes. The ones you are looking at may be from a different maker.

Dan Fleming
        Participant

I don’t think Gurdalas are numbered. I just got one from WWBW and it measures about a 122 tip opening. If you’re used to playing a smaller opening, it may give you some problems until you get used to it. WWBW has a good return policy to let you try out a mouthpiece before you buy it.

Rodney Name
          Participant

Hello everyone,

A pleasure to be here…as far as the Gaurdalas M/P’s what are the tip openings?? i.e MB II ?? etc??

john
            Keymaster

Don’t know the actual number. Each model is slightly different though… I have the Brecker and King Curtis models. They are fairly opened though and good for getting a nice blues/rock sound.

Kevin
              Participant

I ran across the following web page that provides a pretty cross reference-
                http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.tenorsax.html

maybe this will help.

It shows the Dukoff 5 at a 0.085″ tip opening.

Rodney Name
                Participant

Hey Johnny, based on your recommendation of David Guardala M/P’s I pick one up for $349.00 from Amazon. However, the ligature doesn’t allow and reed to fit. Can you recommend a ligature that will complement the M/P?

Thanks

john
                  Keymaster

Yes, on my Guardala I use a Winslow lig. I bought mine almost 30 years ago for $90 so I would think they’re still expensive but they’re one of the best. Check them out and you can find similar ones that will do the trick.
                    You can see what they look like on my Ligature video under the “tips” section of the free lessons.

Rodney Name
                    Participant

Thanks again for your time !!

Rodney Name
                      Participant

Spent a hour plus looking for Winslow..it seems to be hard to find. However, another alternative is Saxxos, similar principle as to pressure point system. They from Germany and a bit difficult to purchase in North America.

Once again, I’ll take Johnny’s advise and look into Rover & Van’s as stated in the “tips” section.

Smmmooooth Saxing !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.