Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces guardella mouthpiece

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

@ Kevin, these are not always straight ahead things we can just talk about because what’s too bright for you won’t be for another.
      as for the meyer, yes that’s a good starting point for any alto player and why I did that comparison video which involved a meyer and a Claude Lakey.
      It showed how much bigger, fuller and brighter the Lakey was. For me, this is a good progression…going from a kind of neutral sound to a louder brighter tone. Not sure of the Jody model you have but I will guess that going to a Guardala King would probably be a bit brighter. having said that, you may gain other tonal qualities as well.

@ William, ya man, you got some goodies there…
      I can say that the Durga was very close to my MBI. I did blow on a Durga about a year ago at my buddies sax shop, I was tempted to buy it until he told me the price! Higher than the Guardalas I am dealing with at the moment. The thing is I would have bought it if the difference was just too amazing but it wasn’t, just very close so why bother.
      I may see if the store still has a couple wanne’s there and try to do a comparison. Personally I believe that the 2 best mouthpiece makers to come along during my time are Dave Guardala and Theo Wanne and they both make the best pieces in the world.
      William, you might not experience a huge difference with a guardala but one thing you might get is an even brighter tone. This is the reason I have a MBI and a King…the MB is a little warmer and fuller so good for stage gigs involving a mic and studios which also involve great mics. for a mic-less rehearsal I’ll take my King because it’ll cut through way better.

William Cingolani
      Participant

Hi Johnny,
        Blowing “Spanish Flea” today the Theo Wanne Gaia sounded better. The ambika was too dark. I have no tracking track so I recorded it alone, just me and the sax. I tried blowing it with the jodyjazz chicago too. The Gaia sounded better, a little warmer and fuller. Tone was good. I just have to concentrate more on tempo, beat, articulation, note attacking technic, putting emotion into notes, singing through the sax, etc.I’ll try the Durga and Shiva too. I can always turn down the mic

William Cingolani
        Participant

On the subject of mouthpieces in this video Jim Creek from sax.co,uk puts all the Theo Wanne Pro-line metal mouthpieces through their paces https://youtu.be/kvJ20Qx6UrY

Nick
          Participant

Thanks for the mp videos. I’ve been analyzing it carefully. They all sound great. Johnny….as an aside, any chance you can offer that tune [I think it’s “What Does it Take”] in backing tracks and sheet music?
            Thanks!

john
            Keymaster

yes Nick, it’s already available in the Music section.
              thanks
              Johnny

Nick
              Participant

Oh wow. Don’t know how I missed that one. Thanks!!

Dazza
                Participant

Thanks JF for the video….Are prices from you listed anywhere?

john
                  Keymaster

I’ll update the prices shortly.

Nick
                    Participant

Johnny,

Regarding the MBII Fatboy, it is obviously bigger, but is it much larger in diameter to require you to change your embouchure from using say the MBII? I’m used to playing the JJ DV, and CHI, and they are relatively narrow in diameter.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.