Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Hard Rubber Mouthpieces for Tenor Saxophone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

Is it your belief, that the Hard Rubber Mouthpieces for Tenor Saxophones are the best for beginners, or not? When you order a mouthpiece (say, from Amazon.com) and they show you a picture of the Mouthpiece, a Cap and a Ligature………do they SEND you the Cap and Ligature as part of the product you are buying?

-Soupy

john
      Keymaster

most definately! you shouldn’t start off with a metal mp.

Steve CA
        Participant

“Most definitely” what? the mouthpiece will typically come with a Ligature and a Cap? Is THAT what is most definite? I find it interesting that you recommend a metal mouthpiece. I’d love for you to elaborate on that. I’d think that a metal mouthpiece would be cold, uncomfortable, and unforgiving, no?
          You know all about this topic and I know nothing, so I push for more detail.

The Technician showed me a Yamaha #5 that he said he would be giving me as part of the package deal. Obviously he has his own preferences of course, and will shamelessly promote them. I would think that the hard rubber type would hold up pretty well, have good resonance (or does a mouthpiece NEED to be resonant…….I dunno?) and have a forgiving material nature that might be easier on the lips. The metal ones must be awe fully cold on an Easter Sunday Morning, playing in the town square. I’ll bet your lips could freeze to it, if you were not careful!! (lol)

Metal, eh? You surprise me……….any particular type, model?
          -Soupy

john
          Keymaster

Weird, my response was from your question “should I start off with a hard rubber mouthpiece”. I must have been ion the wrong topic somehow.
            Anyway, that’s my response… start with a hard rubber Not metal.
            Ya, you’ll usually get a cheap plastic cap and cheap lig with a mp. they’re not going to include anything of great value along with the mp, cause that’s all you really paid for. The cap will do fine but the lig can and should be upgraded in time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.