Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Has anyone used the "Reed Geek" Tool?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m ordering a new box of reeds for Alto and Tenor as I can finally get back to doing regular uploads within the next few weeks now that we’re pretty much settled in our new home…finally 🙂 I’ve worn my reeds out and was curious if anyone has used the Reed Geek tool…I’ve been seeing great reviews on them everywhere to help you adjust those reeds that we find in a new box that aren’t sealing against the MP very well. If there’s something that’s going to help me get the most out of a box of reeds v.s. finding only a few reeds that really play well, it’s worth looking into for sure. Any thoughts/insights you have on this tool would really help; thanks 🙂 Right now I’m working with our new member Wayne whose also a drummer and we’re doing a Blues video collab with the drums and Alto sax…that’s going to be so cool/fun to hear/see Wayne drumming along to the Blues! Very cool 🙂 Yes, the Blues are awesome to hear on the Alto Sax too.

http://www.reedgeek.com/

William Cingolani
      Participant

I’ve used and do still use the reed wizard if I ever have to trim a reed. Seems like reeds are more consistent these days.

Anonymous

i buy la voz reeds, and most of them work out the box. I think our damp Uk climate and low unchanging temperatures are less wearing on reeds compared to the lovely weather in Arizona.

The reed i’m using at the moment is over 3 months old and i put it down to the fact that when i’ve finshed playing with it i put in a plastic bottle of water topped up with 1/2 inch of mint flavoured listerine mouthwash.

When i take the reed out the water, i wipe it with a cloth & it plays straight away perfectly, also as it is damp, it doesn’t draw a lot of saliva from my mouth. The problem i find is if i use a dry reed it absorbs the saliva in my mouth, and when my mouth loses saliva it starts overproducing more saliva to stop my mouth drying out – which results in excessive spit rattling ariund in my mouthpiece.

I don’t know anyone that uses a reed geek, or tinkers with their reed with a knife. But from what i have read, the people who mess with their reeds end up shortening the life of the reed.

john
          Keymaster

yes Michael, I bought one several months ago, haven’t experimented too much cause I’m not that into it but I do slightly shave the bottom to help give it a smother and even surface. I think you can also make a harder to play reed a bit easier by experimenting with the top end and I’ll be doing some more testing I’m sure but that’s all I can tell you for now.

Anonymous

Michael – you can improve the seal of the reed by rubbing the reed back and forth on an A4 sheet of clean paper. Keep the finger pressure on the reed light and balanced. Rub the reed until the flat surface becomes smooth and shiny. It only takes about two minutes, do this with a very smooth surface under the paper e.g. glass top. This trick works very well for me!

wayne wojnarowski
              Participant

I tinker with reeds all the time. Come on we all know how many bad reeds are in a box of 10 !!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.