Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Hear and Soul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

OK, so I saw a re-run of the movie “BIG”, and got this tune stuck in my head. I used a device for the first time that I had acquired a year or so ago but never used. A BOSS RC-3 Looping station pedal. I find it a bit difficult to work with, mainly just depressing it at the right time with your foot while your trying to play.
      So I used the pedal to lay down a repeating loop that repeats every 16 beats, and layered it with some harmony intervals. Because (at least with this pedal) you have to do the layers live in real time, I recorded that to Track 1 of my recorder live while layering, then let the loop repeat for 2min before stopping it, then I used Track 2 of my digital recorder to put down the melody/improv track.
      So I learned something from this exercise about looping pedals, but I did find this song with the chord progression completing/repeating every 8 beats a bit difficult to improvise to. Yeah the looping track gets to be a bit repetitive, and it needs a bridge or change to break that up. Didn’t figure out how to use the pedal that way yet (if it can be). Probably should have ended with a verse of “Chop Sticks”…
      So disappointed in it from that perspective, but anyway here’s a participating upload…
      You can find some really creative Looping pedal uploads on YouTube. There are competition events (or used to be) for these looping recorders.

jake
      Participant

Great sound Kevin I have a looper built in to my pedal a boss ve 20. Haven’t played with it yet tho. Your tone is spectacular Great timing with the looper for sure. Love the little vibrato you used as well.

Anonymous

A nice rich sound there Kevin. So you’re making your own band of Saxes? – LOL. A grand idea and I’ll bet it’s quite challenging to keep all the timing correct.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.