Skip to main content
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    UU Pfister
    Participant

Hi I’m UU. I play the alto sax now for 3 month and I absolutely love it. I played the clarinet before, but I enjoy the sax much more. I’m practicing the glissando at the moment (that’s a challence,lol). 🙂

john
      Keymaster

Great! make sure to work on the chromatic scale.

John Meharry
        Participant

Hi, I’m John, a long time drummer always loved the sax thought now would be a good time to try it

john
          Keymaster

Hi John, good choice and good luck with it. Did you get an alto or tenor?

Dazza
            Participant

Hi Johnny,
              I am practicing my Chromatic daily and noticing more smoothness and speed (ever so slightly). I feel better to play accurately before trying to speed through the notes. One question though. Should you play the C and Bb using the side keys or go with the traditional fingerings. The side keys offer more speed and smoothness as you are not lifting your first and second finger and potentially blurring the notes but it is a break from what would usually be played in most situations and I am wondering if that may present some issues. Cheers

jake
              Participant

hey dazza, you should practice both. they will both be used, but depending on what sequence of notes in the song you play will dictate which one will be used so proficinecy in both should be the goal. when i practice while going up the chromatic scale i used the side keys for the Bb and C notes and while coming down the chromatic it feels more natural to me to use the traditional c fingering and for the Bb i use the B and F keys. for me it is a smoother transition. your goal should be to be proficient in the various fingerings though because there will be certain times where one fingering will be preferred over another. good luck

Jake

John Meharry
                Participant

Hi Johnny, I got a Jupiter Alto Sax. If all goes well I’ll get a Yamaha YAS 820

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.