Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself hello from TO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    randy metson
    Participant

Hi all, just found the site today. i'm from toronto. looking for a good teacher downtown. I've been playing a looong time but haven't improved in a decade, literally. I'm in a tom waits tribute band (we aren't billed as such but most of set is him so there you go). any ideas?

john
      Keymaster

Hi Randy, do you mean you want to find a sax teacher who lives in downtown Toronto?

johnny

randy metson
        Participant

Hi Johnny, that's what i'm looking for. I'm 55 years old and i realize i'm never going to be a jazz player. I'd just like a systematic approach to improving my blues and r and b playing. your tips and demos are great. i have to admit i have trouble remembering chords, scales and i never think what note name im playing or want to play. should i go back to the beginning and learn that stuff or is there a way to improve my by ear playing. i'm not expecting to be a monster player like you, just get steadily better. any thoughts. i'm in downtown toronto queen and bathurst area if that helps. thanks so much for your interest and taking the time to set up such a great site. regards randy

john
          Keymaster

There's a good guy like that who is an old buddy of mine, originally from out here on the west coast but has been living in TO for many years and works a lot there. His name is Gene Hardy and i haven't talked to him in a few years but you'll have no trouble getting his website and eventually him. He's good and I'm sure he does some teaching although I may be wrong.

randy metson
            Participant

Hi Johnny, i've heard Gene play with the Mad Bastards and he is a fantastic player and definitely in the Tom Waits vein. I'll ask him about lessons on Sunday. They play at the Cameron house every sunday night just down the street from me. thanks for that great advice. regards randy

john
              Keymaster

OK great. If you make contact tell him I said hi, gene's a great guy to know and I hope he's able to help you out!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.