Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hey Johnny!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alejandro Lazaga
    Participant

Hi I am Alejandro, bought the beginners course and liked it very much!
      Want to ask you wich cousre do you recomend me, the altissimo or the daily practise?
      I am enjoying your site very much!
      Regards!
      A.

john
      Keymaster

Thanks Alejandro. The altissimo course goes much deeper into technique with embouchure and air control which are the 2 most important things we need to develop our sax tone. These exerscises not only give you the control needed to hit the altissimo notes but will at the same time improve your tone.
        The Daily Practice routine has a smaller version of this plus some scales for technique. I’m not sure where you are with your playing but if you’re still working through my Beginners course you might work a little more on these things before starting the altissimo course because I think you should be playing for about a year for that one.
        Johnny

Alejandro Lazaga
        Participant

I have been playing for about 3 months, already know the cromatic scale but too slow!
          Been playing guitar for about 30 years. Like the sax very much so far.
          So you would recomend me to go to the daily practise course first and then maybe after a year go for the altísimo course?
          Thanks for your reply!
          Alex.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Hi Alejandro,

Nice to have you here; cool that you’re learning to play the Saxophone! Good for you on working on chromatic scales for the Saxophone–the gains you get from working on them are huge. It all starts off slow, but as time goes along you’ll be amazed at much Chromatic Scales help you to Improve. I posted a video of Johnny’s at the bottom for you to check out on Chromatic Scales. They’re really important to work on. What kind of guitar do you play? What kind of music do you like to play?
            Your knowledge of scales, chords, etc.. that you probably already have from your experience with the guitar will be a big help to you when it comes to things like learning about Improvisation on a Saxophone later on. About 6 months or so ago, I was talking to a guitar player who felt that, when it comes to the Saxophone, an understanding of those things weren’t “as important” for Saxophone players as they are for guitar players!
            I went through Johnny’s Altissimo course and the pay off is HUGE in many ways. But like Johnny is saying, you got to get other things under your belt first and that’s where his other courses like the Daily Practice Routine and his ebook you just bought comes into play. Johnny always says that we have to learn to crawl before we walk, walk before we run, etc.. Remember, too, that there’s lots of great stuff that will help you with important fundamentals of the Saxophone by clicking on the box that says “Start my Free Lessons” on the home page. It’ll take you to the bottom of the home page and then look for where it says “start here”

Alejandro Lazaga
            Participant

Michael
              Thank you so much for the advice!, i’ll go for the daily practise course first and hopefully latter for the altissimo.
              I started with electric guitar then moved to classical for about 10 years and came back to electric. I play mostly clasic rock ( pentatonic blues scale:-) ) but we guitarist tend to become lazy because we learn our scales by figures so you just move the figure and deppending on the starting note that is the scale so you don’t have to learn wich notes your playing hehe! You just hace to learn the different figures major, minor blues etc. And they are movable.
              Recently went to a jazz clinic (i don’t play jazz), and was amazaed by the knowlwdge of the jazz musician! They know all the notes from the different 7th arpeggios in all 12 tones!!!
              Thanks again Michael, hope to learn alot with you guys!
              Alex.

Ps engish is not my mother languaje 🙂 I am Mexican.

Anonymous

Hi Alejandro !
                I’ve been playing acoustic guitar for over 40 years, for relaxation, though i have played in church bands for a couple of years.

If you don’t have a sax teacher, then i would complete Johnny’s e- book first!
                Then do his daily practice routine everyday as a 30 min warmup, which you could do for the rest of your life! This routine built up my tone in a month & keeps it there!

The altissimo course i started about 6 months after learning the sax, and i can play all of the altissimo notes up to C, beyond which isn’t much use to me!

The advantage you have over people with no musical knowledge is you will already have most of the theory which does slow other people down by months if not years!

A couple of years on the sax & you would be able to pick up a clarinet and breeze through it!

Alejandro Lazaga
                Participant

Hi James,
                  Been enjoying the site very much reading all the posts.
                  Thanks for your reply and advice, will buy the practice course already have the basic one wich I enjoy alot!
                  All the best fir you!
                  A.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.