Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hi, from New Zealand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tawehi Munro
    Participant

Kia ora (Maori for ‘Hello) Johnny and all,

I’m a bit of a late starter as I’m 52. Got my first alto sax and had my first lesson with a local Hawke’s Bay (New Zealand) sax player that spent the last 10 years in Chicago and … loved every minute. Blew my first notes and did a bit of tongue’ing and also did a bit of music theory.

Came across your website Johnny last week and loved the ‘welcome’ video and also the ‘energy’ that you display while playing especially when your ‘rocking’ the stage (1990s video clip).

The image that I’ve upload is the ‘Whakaki Jazz Band’, which my grandfathers brothers and cousins established back in the 1920s.

I look forward to connecting and learning from Johnny and other forum members,

Yours in learning,

Tawehi Munro
      Kiwi from NZ
      a0d2z-whakakii-jaz-band-1.jpg

john
      Keymaster

That’s cool, I read a bit about the Maori there quite recently and learned some interesting things about them… are you a native of New Zealand?
        Great photo! They look like a bunch of pretty cool cats that swung hard!
        Glad you found the site Tawehi and good luck with your new saxophone journey…it can be a good one!

Johnny

Tawehi Munro
        Participant

Hey Johnny, yep I’m Maori and also have Scottish and Irish heritage. I look forward to the journey ahead. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.